Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I do not understand why GM did that with the 6.0 when the difference was only like 19 horse and 7 torque. Hopefully they leave it alone and keep it at 401/464. Combined with the 3.42 gear it will still have the 10k tow rating and I am hoping for 18+ highway MPG.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I do not understand why GM did that with the 6.0 when the difference was only like 19 horse and 7 torque. Hopefully they leave it alone and keep it at 401/464. Combined with the 3.42 gear it will still have the 10k tow rating and I am hoping for 18+ highway MPG.
I hope your right, it will be my next van unless they wake up and realize the 2.8 doesn’t belong in the vans and at least put the 3.0 in them.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I hope your right, it will be my next van unless they wake up and realize the 2.8 doesn’t belong in the vans and at least put the 3.0 in them.
I wonder how well the the 3.0 would fit in the van with all the emissions garbage hanging off the passenger side of the motor ? Would it be worth the time/money to make all the 3.0 specific features work in the van chassis ? I know they have been having a few first year issues but that is to be expected. I want the 3.0 to be wonderful in every aspect but I do not if it will ever get there.

This 6.6 gas has my attention and so far I have not heard of any complaints or issues. When someone hits 100,000 miles with one I would like to hear a report from them.

Reactions: LCAC_Man

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I wonder how well the the 3.0 would fit in the van with all the emissions garbage hanging off the passenger side of the motor ? Would it be worth the time/money to make all the 3.0 specific features work in the van chassis ? I know they have been having a few first year issues but that is to be expected. I want the 3.0 to be wonderful in every aspect but I do not if it will ever get there.

This 6.6 gas has my attention and so far I have not heard of any complaints or issues. When someone hits 100,000 miles with one I would like to hear a report from them.
If the 6.6 gas can average 13-14 in the city I’d buy one for sure over the diesel. I expect it to be a great motor like the 6.0 is with little trouble.

Reactions: LCAC_Man

·
Registered
1993 chevy silverado c3500 crew cab dually
1,173 Posts
Sorry guys but I love my promaster 2500 hightop lon wheel base. It has the 3.0 4cyl diesel. And hauls 4k daily like butter. It's not fast and is way more "car" like than the express. But my coworker with the 4.8 gets 11 if lucky. I get 20-21 city average 26 highway and on the flats at low speed (62mph and ac on) I get high 30's. So slow and steady get me there and standing up at 6'2 in the back is so nice. It's also wider than the express. But if you tow you'd be crazy to get anything but a Chevy or nv3500 with the 5.6.
Most nv's come with their 4.0L.V6 with small. Brakes and poor mpg

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sorry guys but I love my promaster 2500 hightop lon wheel base. It has the 3.0 4cyl diesel. And hauls 4k daily like butter. It's not fast and is way more "car" like than the express. But my coworker with the 4.8 gets 11 if lucky. I get 20-21 city average 26 highway and on the flats at low speed (62mph and ac on) I get high 30's. So slow and steady get me there and standing up at 6'2 in the back is so nice. It's also wider than the express. But if you tow you'd be crazy to get anything but a Chevy or nv3500 with the 5.6.
Most nv's come with their 4.0L.V6 with small. Brakes and poor mpg
I would take a Nissan way before even thinking about a Ram Promaster. The Nissan has like 3" larger brakes than the Promaster. The Nissan does have good power but the MPG is not very good.

·
Registered
279 Posts
By dropping the 6.6 diesel in 2017, GM was able to finally get rid of the Big Block/Diesel body with its specific engine by opening and doghouse... must have made production significantly easier since that reduced an expensive difference that in production lines. Since the body was different, that configuration was basically a different line, since it started with a different shell. Early differentiation incurs a lot of extra production costs.
Nope. Current 2.8 vans still have the Diesel body. I have seen one.
Proof: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-floor-pan-25830060/?c=bT0x
I wonder if there was a valid reason for keeping the diesel body, or it just didn't cross anyone's mind. I cannot imagine the 4-cylinder engine needing this amount of space.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Reactions: Joey D and LCAC_Man

·
Registered
897 Posts
I just hate the way the Nissan looks. I'd actually take the ram promaster over it.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Looks are the last thing on my list. I care about things like body on frame, performance, MPG, towing, cargo area, reliability, etc. Minus my dealership customers the rest could care less what I show up in as long their heater works and I do not charge them a bunch of money.

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well... that just might happen. GM is pulling out of SE Asia and selling the Thailand plant where the 2.8 diesel is built. Since they haven't announced a 3.0 diesel in the vans for '21 yet, there might not be a diesel van in '21.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I can't see the inline 6 easily fitting in a van.

Might be they'll bring back the infamous 5.0L duramax V8!

More than likely it'll get the 2.7L 4 cyl. Good motor. Gets decent mileage in a 1500 but the van has higher rolling resistance.

My promaster 3.0L 4 cyl TD is no more here or Europe. It's been replaced by a 2.0L. Similar power numbers. This might be the way for non HD diesels. Smaller displacement and better mpg with smaller capacity and smaller green foot print.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Well... that just might happen. GM is pulling out of SE Asia and selling the Thailand plant where the 2.8 diesel is built. Since they haven't announced a 3.0 diesel in the vans for '21 yet, there might not be a diesel van in '21.
The 2.8 is going away in the Colorado/ Canyon next year so id bet no 2.8 in anything.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I can't see the inline 6 easily fitting in a van.

Might be they'll bring back the infamous 5.0L duramax V8!

More than likely it'll get the 2.7L 4 cyl. Good motor. Gets decent mileage in a 1500 but the van has higher rolling resistance.

My promaster 3.0L 4 cyl TD is no more here or Europe. It's been replaced by a 2.0L. Similar power numbers. This might be the way for non HD diesels. Smaller displacement and better mpg with smaller capacity and smaller green foot print.
I think that 4.5 duramax V8 would have been perfect for the vans.

The 3.0 has a lot of extra features that I do not know if it would be worth it for GM to spend the money to make it work in stripped down cargo van at a decent price. I could see it happening if they were coming out with an entirely new van.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Haha maybe a fwd inline 6 with a rear take off for AWD. that could make a chassis cutaway with a super low floor option like a old GMC RV. Where the side wheels center line can be higher than floor

·
Registered
80 Posts

These dingbats actually said this:

It is also unknown at this time what the disposition of the 2.8L will be for Chevy Express and GMC Savannah vans, but conventional thought leads us to think the 2.7L will also be the lone engine for those rigs.
Did they miss the entire drop of the new 6.6 gasser? I guess?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wonder if there was a valid reason for keeping the diesel body, or it just didn't cross anyone's mind. I cannot imagine the 4-cylinder engine needing this amount of space.
As savage and thorough as GM is about cutting costs, it's not possible that they overlooked that. If the space isn't actually necessary for the engine--and we know it isn't because that engine fits in the Colorado/Canyon body--my bet is on needing to keep a plant or line open/running based on a union contract.

I don't think they'd drop an L5P into a van, but maybe the diesel van market is strong enough that the 6.6/6L90E will make a come back? Seriously doubt it, though.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
When they do a class C rv which motor do they use

21 - 40 of 80 Posts