Diesel Place banner

181 - 200 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
It would not surprise me if there was no trans cooler. GM has been leaving them off other vehicles and saying the high temps are fine. Have you seen that silly hair brush cooler they started putting on vans ? That thing is not doing much so they probably said screw it and put a couple more $$$ in their pocket then chances are good it will make it out of warranty before an issue.

Reactions: LCAC_Man

·
Registered
166 Posts
I figured when they dropped the full floater a couple of years ago it was not coming back. Trans cooler should be standard especially with tow package. Do the trucks have an external oil cooler ? They cut costs but charge us more.
How the heck do they rate it to 9900 GVW with a semi-floater?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
I have never seen a 6L90 van without a transmission cooler, not even with the 4.8.
I know that on older (4L80) vans, trans cooler was optional.
The 2018 passenger 4.3/8L90 that we had, did not have the trans cooler.
It would be very illogical for GM not to put trans cooler on a 6.6 6L90 van given the higher power rating. Are you sure you looked at a 6.6 and not the 4.3 van?
They have 4 2021 vans all 6.6, 2500 and 3500. No external cooler. The 2020 vans have them though.

Reactions: ShopSpecialties

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
It would not surprise me if there was no trans cooler. GM has been leaving them off other vehicles and saying the high temps are fine. Have you seen that silly hair brush cooler they started putting on vans ? That thing is not doing much so they probably said screw it and put a couple more $$$ in their pocket then chances are good it will make it out of warranty before an issue.
My 16 van has that cooler, never bothered to check trans temp though.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
My 16 van has that cooler, never bothered to check trans temp though.
I cannot remember but did the 6L90 vans get the thermal bypass ?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
I cannot remember but did the 6L90 vans get the thermal bypass ?
not sure, the cooler looks like the same style American Standard uses on their AC condensers though. They claim improvement in shedding heat.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
I see on the Nissan website you can get a 2021 NV. So maybe they are not getting the ax ?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
I see on the Nissan website you can get a 2021 NV. So maybe they are not getting the ax ?
Maybe the 21's are the last ones. I did read they are gone a few months ago

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was just looking on RockAuto... they list 8x6.5" hub bearings for the vans through 2018. The listings for 2019-2021 don't have the bolt circle listed for the hubs. I had expected that the vans would switch over to the 8x180mm circle that the pickup trucks have used since 2011 in order to have common components across the supply chain, but I guess that's not how GM rolls these days.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I thought that GM dropped the 1500 vans because of mileage requirements of anything under 8500lb gvw?
Id also agree that the 6.6 going in the vans is cost, why have the 6.0 around for one line. It needs more gears in the HD trucks though and options for better gears for towing.
Just ran across this article: GM Quietly Cancels 1500 Versions of Full-Size Vans | PickupTrucks.com

Apparently more expensive, due to mileage and many other reasons, to build them <8500 GVW.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I dunno what I am going to do. This setup has me very interested but I would like a high roof. Who knows when a redesign is coming and I am worried it will be uni-body junk with a small screaming engine. Right now I need to R&R 6 injectors at a cost of about $2,400 which are returning to much hot fuel causing me to lose big MPG. Also some other big $$$ failures have to be coming my way since I am closing in on 500,000 miles. Then factor in the nationwide circus going on is costing me $$ also. Right now I am doing some short/long term math and nothing looks great.
If you put $2400-3000 into you rig, I bet you could get your ROI back in 90 days compared to shelling out more than $30K for new a new rig. However you're running a business and sometimes that calls for some business expenses for tax purposes. Yours is totally depreciated out and but the value to you is the same month after month. You can compare it to a tool necessary for your business. Also, might be good to see how business reacts to the silly season in Washington and across the country during 2021.
I'm well behind you on miles (340K), but my Suburban still has the young and strong feeling and I still smile when I start it up to go somewhere. It's always up for the challenge.
John

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
If you put $2400-3000 into you rig, I bet you could get your ROI back in 90 days compared to shelling out more than $30K for new a new rig. However you're running a business and sometimes that calls for some business expenses for tax purposes. Yours is totally depreciated out and but the value to you is the same month after month. You can compare it to a tool necessary for your business. Also, might be good to see how business reacts to the silly season in Washington and across the country during 2021.
I'm well behind you on miles (340K), but my Suburban still has the young and strong feeling and I still smile when I start it up to go somewhere. It's always up for the challenge.
John
Well John I wish it was that easy. We also should factor in turbo, transmission, front end, rear end, etc. We are about 1.5 years in with the new 6.6 gas and so far I have not heard anything bad yet. This new motor has me leaning more towards buying new since it has good power and MPG. I think I could get 18 MPG or possibly more and I would not have to do anything to it for like 3 years and that would just be a tune up. I agree to watch and see how this years circus pans out.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Well John I wish it was that easy. We also should factor in turbo, transmission, front end, rear end, etc. We are about 1.5 years in with the new 6.6 gas and so far I have not heard anything bad yet. This new motor has me leaning more towards buying new since it has good power and MPG. I think I could get 18 MPG or possibly more and I would not have to do anything to it for like 3 years and that would just be a tune up. I agree to watch and see how this years circus pans out.
I'd bet with your driving style you can get 18 out of a new 6.6. You get great mileage out of the duramax, about what I get when I lose my Boston driving style.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
I'd bet with your driving style you can get 18 out of a new 6.6. You get great mileage out of the duramax, about what I get when I lose my Boston driving style.
I have seen a couple of truck guys claim 20+ MPG light highway cruising but I am not so sure about that. I would like to hear from someone that owns one and how they are liking it so far but I cannot find anyone. Nothing on YouTube except for dealership robot videos that are useless.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is someone on the Express van's FB group that was hovering around 19.2 based on the DIC after around 900 miles. I believe he said it was 60/40 mix of highway to city. He's done a few full throttle runs on video as well. That's about the only data I've actually seen anywhere on anyone with the gas 6.6. Probably won't get much more info as he was sending it off to Quigley for a 4x4 conversion and re-gearing to 3.73.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
There is someone on the Express van's FB group that was hovering around 19.2 based on the DIC after around 900 miles. I believe he said it was 60/40 mix of highway to city. He's done a few full throttle runs on video as well. That's about the only data I've actually seen anywhere on anyone with the gas 6.6. Probably won't get much more info as he was sending it off to Quigley for a 4x4 conversion and re-gearing to 3.73.
I seen that on there as well, looks fairly quick for a van.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
I seen that on there as well, looks fairly quick for a van.
It gets to 90 in 1/2 the time it takes the 2.8 to get to 60.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,200 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
What gear do the 6.6's come with normally? 3.42?

And yeah, a 180 hp diesel is going to be slower than a 401 hp gasser.

181 - 200 of 228 Posts