Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fast lane truck just released that the 2020 L5P 3500 will have a maximum 35,500 towing capacity, new 10 speed transmission and full power in 1st gear.

Reactions: sargenthp

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
35k GCWR is just ridiculous those ratings are just pissing matches between the big 3.....I bet these trucks do not really have braking capacity for 35k...and also it wont be long before you will need a CDL to drive a newer truck

Reactions: turbovanman

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
35k GCWR is just ridiculous those ratings are just pissing matches between the big 3.....I bet these trucks do not really have braking capacity for 35k...and also it wont be long before you will need a CDL to drive a newer truck
The crazy thing is, it’s 35.5K pounds towing, not GCVWR. Once you throw the weight of the truck into that equation you’re looking at a GCVWR of probably 44K pounds.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Is gm still not offering 4:10 or 4:30 gears with the dmax and sticking with 3:73....I mean why is gm so heart set with 3:73???.....I think ford and Dodge offers multiple gear options in their diesel trucks

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Is gm still not offering 4:10 or 4:30 gears with the dmax and sticking with 3:73....I mean why is gm so heart set with 3:73???.....I think ford and Dodge offers multiple gear options in their diesel trucks
They are actually lowering them to 3.42. "Old Schoolers" are so used to rear gearing making the biggest difference in towing capability, because for decades we had a 4-speed tranny that wasn't capable of a wide gear spread. Now we have a 10 speed tranny that has a MUCH broader gear spread. I know, it's hard for me to get over old ideas too, but these towing packages are so much more than just "throw some 4.10s in there and she'll tow better".

·
Registered
631 Posts
Upto 15 minute after-run feature. Hmmm... neat.
The gear ratio drop to 3.42 is surprising, but it will be interesting to see what the gear spread on the 10 speed is.
The new cooling fan is HUGE!
I still hate the factory goose-neck though, the holes in the bed are ridiculously ugly.

·
Registered
653 Posts

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Wow With all those new bells and whistles the truck will be $75k-85K or more and also a 10 speed transmission I hope it dont be hunting for gears pulling a hill

Reactions: BanksLB7Duramax

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for that link! I was looking for the gear ratios in the 10 speed. I could get behind that with those ratios.

My experience was with Ram. I had a '07 2500 6.7L with 3.73's, the 68RFE, and 31" tires. Then I moved to a '15 2500 6.7 with 3.42's, the 68RFE and 33" tires. So stock for both. My '07 was a tow pig! Go up a hill towing my camper and I just needed to add a little toe pressure and boost would pick up and I would go up the hill without shifting and still have extra power. My '15 was just a pig. Same camper and hills it would need to downshift sometimes a couple times. MPG's was 2-3 MPG less towing, and shifting was so much harsher. Empty I might have seen a MPG or 2 better, unless I had a headwind... Then it would drop to less than my '07. So they used the same transmission, higher gearing, and taller tires... My experience was not impressive.

So at least GM are adjusting things to adjust for the gear ratio change.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Wow With all those new bells and whistles the truck will be $75k-85K or more and also a 10 speed transmission I hope it dont be hunting for gears pulling a hill
They better not cost that much!!!!

Gear hunting is my biggest concern with these new trucks. I love being able to roll into the throttle and gain speed without downshifting. That's my biggest gripe with the new half tons, I've driven several of them and they are CONSTANTLY shifting, it drives me nuts.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
It drives me nuts that GM still hasn’t released any SRW long box pics. Most of the pics that ford released for the 2020 SD are of a LB truck, but every Silverado pic is a stupid short box.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
It drives me nuts that GM still hasn’t released any SRW long box pics. Most of the pics that ford released for the 2020 SD are of a LB truck, but every Silverado pic is a stupid short box.
Long box are not available until later in year. Crew cab short box are first available models.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Long box are not available until later in year. Crew cab short box are first available models.
For HD, Flint first....

others from Ft Wayne, and they also have to finish converting 1500's over...

1500 crews Silao.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I appreciate the response, and I know the LB trucks won’t be available at launch, but I just want to see one lol! There’s gotta be a preproduction model somewhere. I mean the CC/SB trucks aren’t available yet but they got tons of them around at these press events.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts