Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded my 2018 2500 Duramax for a new 2020 2500 L5P and notice a throbbing sound at idle when the engine is warmed up ( currently 2200km). Dealership says it is covered under the #16-NA-32 Bulletin on common engine noises Duramax 6.6L, but this is not the ticking or cycling that I have heard on my previous Duramax. Has anyone else experienced this on the 2020 L5P?

·
Administrator
17,285 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

:thumb:

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Is this Sound synched with engine rpm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes if you increase the rpm the sound seems to be reduced or blends into the engine noise. Should also add that the sound seems to be deep in the passenger side of the engine

·
Premium Member
17,974 Posts
When my trucks and machines are in "regeneration", the engine intake emits a thrumming sound. This goes for Cummins, Cat, and Duramax engines.
Could your truck be in "regeneration"?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it is regenerating it has 2200 km on it and has been doing it since I took delivery at 60km

·
Registered
42 Posts

Added this so anybody interested can hear the engine noise I am referring to

·
Administrator
17,285 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have our brought the issue up with the Dealership? I have confirmed that the sound is not normal, other 2020 2500 Duramax do not have the throbbing sound

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recommend you do, the Dealership is going to take my truck into service and see what they can find out I will post the results when they have completed their inspection

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've heard many videos like this one door the 2020, and mine also makes this noise. I'd say it's normal.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would be good news mine is currently being evaluated by the service department at the Dealership. However recently encountered a louder throbbing sound after a 2hr trip at highway speed it certainly gets worse when the engine is at running temperature.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 2020 does it. I think it has something to do with the air filter box location.
My 17 would make the same sound after i put the banks cold air intake on it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your response. The question is do all the 2020 L5P Duramax engines make this throbbing noise after warm up, my understanding at this point is that all 2020’s do not make this noise. I still look forward to the Dealership’s and now I understand GM’s response regarding this issue. I will keep you posted on how this issue is resolved.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
The DURAMAX L5P 2017-2020 engine hasn’t basically changed so the 2020 shouldn’t develop new sounds from what people have reported from the previous years
The engine itself has changed part numbers every year for the last four but I don’t know what the exact changes have been made.

Reactions: Gnewman

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree Dealership still has it and is running tests requested by GM will keep you posted

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Dealership ran tests on the truck as requested by GM (disable each injector. ran with belts off) the noise persists. GM has acknowledged that some(not all) of the 2020 L5P Duramax engines are making this noise. They have requested that the vehicle be driven to the first oil change then inspect the vehicle to see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yes mine has the same sound. It is odd though as I can hear it but a friend of mine with better hearing than me can't hear it.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts