Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was able to park my 2017 beside a 2020 at the dealer and as you can see they are taller or higher. Measured from the ground to the middle of the rear stake pocket/hand hold mine measured 58 1/2" new one 60". I believe it's been stated the lift in height has been lowered by 1", but couldn't measure this as the tailgate was locked. Pretty sure 2020 truck will not fit in my garage as my opening is 80", and because of very limited space the truck has to fit in the garage. Additional height will mess with my 5th wheel towing level as i'm as close as i can get to top of box side rails and still have clearance for off camber inclines, etc. I'm disappointed GM raised there trucks, but i supposed they did it to make them look bigger and stronger but certainly will make them harder to work out out of unless you're really tall. Will pass on the 2020's and keep the 2017.

Rich

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,050 Posts
Thread relocated over to "Exterior"

:thumb:

·
Banned
10,146 Posts
That's interesting, according to the GM website

including a standard box that’s 6.7 inches wider and 5.4 inches longer than on the previous 2019 Sierra HD – while simultaneously providing lower bed sides, allowing for optimal fifth-wheel and gooseneck trailering.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That's interesting, according to the GM website
I'm guessing that means from the floor of the bed to the top of the rails is shorter on the new truck, but the floor is higher than the old trucks by more than the difference in box depth.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I was able to park my 2017 beside a 2020 at the dealer and as you can see they are taller or higher. Measured from the ground to the middle of the rear stake pocket/hand hold mine measured 58 1/2" new one 60". I believe it's been stated the lift in height has been lowered by 1", but couldn't measure this as the tailgate was locked. Pretty sure 2020 truck will not fit in my garage as my opening is 80", and because of very limited space the truck has to fit in the garage. Additional height will mess with my 5th wheel towing level as i'm as close as i can get to top of box side rails and still have clearance for off camber inclines, etc. I'm disappointed GM raised there trucks, but i supposed they did it to make them look bigger and stronger but certainly will make them harder to work out out of unless you're really tall. Will pass on the 2020's and keep the 2017.

Rich

Rich - your 2017 is MUCH better looking than the one parked next to it!

I've never understood the need to lift trucks, makes them harder to load, unload, tow, park.

I'm 57 and all I see from lifted trucks is a faster way to injure myself and require a knee or hip replacement sooner :nope:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I completely agree. Trucks now are all about image, and most guys that drive them think the truck makes them macho and that they look cool and own the road because they have a big stupid truck. It’s ridiculous. I actually think these guys look foolish driving a big giant diesel truck and they don’t even own a trailer and there’s not a scratch in the bed. Manufacturers need to make an “image truck” for these guys based on a light duty chassis, make it 10 feet tall, 24” wheels, and giant screens attached to the dash. Then they need to get back to making real trucks for what they are supposed to be for, real trucks for getting work done, and actually being able to get in and out of the bed without ladders and pop out handles and special tailgates with steps built into them. These trucks get more and more unusable with every new generation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm really hoping I'll still be able to park in a a 6'8" parkade! Saw a new AT4 HD in the parkade i go to.... but only on the first floor

·
Registered
64 Posts
Damn, those 2020s are super ugly, worst looking Chevy truck ever imo. Hell, just about the ugliest thing on the rode, only thing I can think of that is close is the Titan.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Manufacturers need to make an “image truck” for these guys based on a light duty chassis, make it 10 feet tall, 24” wheels, and giant screens attached to the dash.
They already have! It’s called the Ford Raptor.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
This reminds me....

When I got my 2006 new an older buddy of mine said, "With that big truck are you compensating for shortcomings elsewhere" to which I replied, "If that were the case, I'd be walking." :D

And yes, I agree the 2020 looks silly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts