Diesel Place banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I just wish I could get my hands on this truck for a couple days to figure what is going on. We have never seen a truck where the service bulletin does not fix it.

#iworkforGM

Wish you were a little closer - I'd take you up on the offer.

· Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
On the fifth visit to the second dealer, I finally got my truck repaired. It was only after GM assigned a field engineer to hold the dealer's hand it was determined that despite both dealers claiming they had performed all the steps in the service bulletin, they in fact hadn't.

After actually balancing and road forcing the tires properly, replacing one the was way above the cut off for road force, and most importantly resetting the offsets in the ESC system (a 30 second process that the tech didn't even know about even though its clearly a step in the service bulletin) the vibration is completely gone.

I have to give GM credit for finally assigning a field engineer to get this resolved. I am really pissed at the amount of time - and trips to the dealer - it took to get this fixed, and the fact that neither dealer possessed the aptitude (or cared) about actually following the directions they were given by GM. This should have been corrected by the first dealer visit two weeks after I bought the truck, not almost four months and five dealer visits later.

· Premium Member
2,966 Posts
That is great news someone from GM finally knew what to do and corrected the problem. Hopefully they will train the dealerships in correcting this problem.

· Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
How does this help? I have the same readings on my truck when turning the wheel to the limit each way. I also have a steering wheel oscillation at about 95-110 kph. How do the two relate?
I don't think it has any bearing on the steering shake at all. It really takes the dealer actually performing ALL the steps in the bulletin to correct the issue. If you've already had the update done, then you likely have a tire that is defective (high road force) and the dealer failed to perform the reset of the ESC offsets. Resetting the ESC offsets seems to be the key factor in getting the shake problem resolved. It's honestly a 30 second process, but neither dealer I went to had actually done it.

· Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So... after 4 months and 4K miles the steering wheel shake is back, worse than ever. Goes into the shop for a 6th time next week to document the problem, and then to GM / BBB to initiate a buyback. There's no excuse for this; don't know if its this particular truck or if GMs software reprogram really fixes the problem or just masks it for awhile. However if a factory trained engineer can't get it successfully repaired then it seems hopeless at this time.
Hopefully GM won't jack me around and just buy it back quickly so I can go out and shop the competition while discounts and availability are good.

· Registered
164 Posts
Man that sucks. I am soo glad I went with the 'base' work truck model. No fancy digital assist steering. Old school stuff they have built for 50years. No steering wobble at speed. A little stiff when slow but who cares.

· Registered
1 Posts
Decided to start a new thread about this... I'd be interested what others experience with this is. There is some more info here:

2020 gmc? any reviews from new owners?

I have a 2020 GMC 3500 Denali that has had the steering wheel shake problem since new. It has the factory 20" rims and Crapyear tires. The truck has now been to two different dealers a total four times for resolution of this issue. It seems to be fairly widespread - I drove 4 other identical trucks, and they all had the issue to some degree. Mine was still the worst. It is most noticeable when is there is slight pressure on either side of steering center, like when correcting for road crown, although even on straight center there is still a discernible shake in the steering wheel.

To date, one tire has been replaced (sidewall bulge, not related), all four tires have been balanced and road forced six times, and the wheels swapped front to rear, side to side, etc. The software update was applied (Bulletin #19-NA-240, N192279900), which helped to some degree, however all it does is increase the steering effort, which masks some of the vibration, and tightens up the centering of the steering box.

GM TAC has told the dealer there is no fix for the problem, and they will no longer pay any more warranty claims on my truck for this issue. They are now saying that this is a "normal" condition. The latest dealer has been great, but they are done, as there is nothing left they can do.

GMC Executive Care team has been working with both me and the dealer to try to figure something out. I was contacted yesterday and informed that GM engineering is working "overtime" on finding both the cause and the fix. They have determined that although some tires minimize the issue, it is NOT a tire problem that is causing it, and replacing the tires does not represent either a true fix, or a long term solution. I'm not going to dispute that many have found this to work - just relaying what GM has told me.

I take all this to mean that there is a unsprung weight issue with the 20" wheel / tire combo, there is an inherent balance flaw in the stock 20" rims, or a problem with geometry within the steering/ suspension on the Denali and High Country models. The steering wheel shake is not affecting the ATs with 18" wheels.

Ultimately, I have concerns that GM can't fix this issue, and more so what the long term damage may be to the steering and front suspension because of the constant vibration. I love this truck, but when my hands were literally shaking after a 300 mile drive because of the constant vibration, I think its about time to think about other options.

I might be a little late jumping in here. I have a one month old; GMC 3500HD Sierra SLT Dually. Had the wheel shaking bad from 55 to 70mph. On the second trip to the dealer they did this and has all but eliminated the shares.
1. Replaced; Hydraulic Recirculating Ball Steering Gear
2. Replaced; Electric Power Steering Motor Control
3. Replaced; Steering Gear Box

· Registered
13 Posts
Trading in my 2020 GMC 3500 Denali , it had the Shakes with stock tires . Michelins helped, truck came with 60 miles on it , Drivers door different shade of black, Someone tried to buff the whole side , rear window replaced , Regen smell , in and out of dealership, Worst truck ive had so far , Getting 2021 High country , I will know what to look for
thanks for the posts , very infomative

· Registered
1 Posts
If its of any help, I recently upgraded from a 2012 Denali Dmax to a 2021 Denali Dmax black diamond. I did notice the steering wheel was more lively in the new rig. Had wheels balanced, but to me it felt like bump steer, only at higher speeds, on uneven pavement or overpasses etc. The way to reduce bump steer is a proper steering damper, which to my surprise on checking is missing on the 21s, for some reason GM deleted off the newer rigs. The steering linkage still has the loop for a damper, but there is no corresponding loop on on crossmember. I bought a damper bracket from suspension max and a rancho damper for 200 bucks, its a 3 bolt install takes less than an hour even if you take your time.. Problem is much better. My guess is these larger 20 inch wheels with the AT tires are unruly at speed...

· Registered
1 Posts
Decided to start a new thread about this... I'd be interested what others experience with this is. There is some more info here:

2020 gmc? any reviews from new owners?

I have a 2020 GMC 3500 Denali that has had the steering wheel shake problem since new. It has the factory 20" rims and Crapyear tires. The truck has now been to two different dealers a total four times for resolution of this issue. It seems to be fairly widespread - I drove 4 other identical trucks, and they all had the issue to some degree. Mine was still the worst. It is most noticeable when is there is slight pressure on either side of steering center, like when correcting for road crown, although even on straight center there is still a discernible shake in the steering wheel.

To date, one tire has been replaced (sidewall bulge, not related), all four tires have been balanced and road forced six times, and the wheels swapped front to rear, side to side, etc. The software update was applied (Bulletin #19-NA-240, N192279900), which helped to some degree, however all it does is increase the steering effort, which masks some of the vibration, and tightens up the centering of the steering box.

GM TAC has told the dealer there is no fix for the problem, and they will no longer pay any more warranty claims on my truck for this issue. They are now saying that this is a "normal" condition. The latest dealer has been great, but they are done, as there is nothing left they can do.

GMC Executive Care team has been working with both me and the dealer to try to figure something out. I was contacted yesterday and informed that GM engineering is working "overtime" on finding both the cause and the fix. They have determined that although some tires minimize the issue, it is NOT a tire problem that is causing it, and replacing the tires does not represent either a true fix, or a long term solution. I'm not going to dispute that many have found this to work - just relaying what GM has told me.

I take all this to mean that there is a unsprung weight issue with the 20" wheel / tire combo, there is an inherent balance flaw in the stock 20" rims, or a problem with geometry within the steering/ suspension on the Denali and High Country models. The steering wheel shake is not affecting the ATs with 18" wheels.

Ultimately, I have concerns that GM can't fix this issue, and more so what the long term damage may be to the steering and front suspension because of the constant vibration. I love this truck, but when my hands were literally shaking after a 300 mile drive because of the constant vibration, I think its about time to think about other options.
Good afternoon everyone, I own a 2020 at4 2500hd and mine has the 20's it did the same thing that you speak of with the factory wheels but not bad. Now I've put 20x9 fuels on with 285/65/20's and it's much worse. I'm wondering what the guys with big lifts and tires are seeing? My new rims are hubcentric and tires are bfg ko2 all terrain not an aggressive tire but the shake really sucks. I've had them rebalance still there but like stated it only gets triggered with certain things, applying lite pressure side to side on wheel. Its actually better at higher speeds 70+..

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.