Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Possibly. I have looked at that product before. I'm hesitant to do anything aftermarket yet, so GM won't have an excuse to deny coverage or a buyback if I go that route.

GM contacted me again and reiterated there is no fix for the condition and "engineering is working overtime" to resolve the problem. Was also advised that the tires are not the problem, and although some tires perform better, the underlying condition is not corrected and not to replace them.

What I'm really concerned about is the wear and tear on the steering and front axle from the shaking. If I can feel it through the steering wheel, which no doubt suppresses it because of the programming and power steering, how is this affecting the long term life of those components?

Drove 300 miles yesterday, and my hands were literally shaking when I got home due to the vibration. Very, very disappointing at this juncture to say the least.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Possibly. I have looked at that product before. I'm hesitant to do anything aftermarket yet, so GM won't have an excuse to deny coverage or a buyback if I go that route.

GM contacted me again and reiterated there is no fix for the condition and "engineering is working overtime" to resolve the problem. Was also advised that the tires are not the problem, and although some tires perform better, the underlying condition is not corrected and not to replace them.

What I'm really concerned about is the wear and tear on the steering and front axle from the shaking. If I can feel it through the steering wheel, which no doubt suppresses it because of the programming and power steering, how is this affecting the long term life of those components?

Drove 300 miles yesterday, and my hands were literally shaking when I got home due to the vibration. Very, very disappointing at this juncture to say the least.

YIPES! Looking at replacing my 2013 next fall

·
Registered
408 Posts

You have a tire or a rim or combination that isnt running true when bolted onto the truck id bet. i had the same issue with a set of aftermarket rims a couple years ago on my 2015. they would balance out (i sell tires and rims) but once on truck i always had a shake. finally tracked it down to a rim and was worse on the front of course. swapped out the rim and issue was fixed. I also have always put on the steering stabilizer after gm deleted them. make a difference to me. I just got a 2020 and havent put the stabilizer on yet but will be when i get time. I can feel feedbck in the front wheels just like on my 15 and 17 before the stabilizer was installed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
By far the worst is the shake / wobble in the steering wheel. I've been to the dealer 4 times now, and after all the GM fixes, TSB, and balancing the tires 6 times, the problem is better, but still not fixed by a long shot. GM finally told the dealer there is no actual fix and they would not pay for anymore warranty work for the problem.

I drove four others on the lot, and they all have the problem. Some way worse than others. Replacing the crap Goodyear tires seems to have helped for a lot of people - not sure I want to spend $1,200 for new tires on a truck that costs $80K, and it pisses me off that GM knows about a problem, but since they can't figure out how to fix it, they now claim its a "normal condition." If I'd known there was no repair, I wouldn't have bought the truck just because of this.

Replacing the tires was the only fix to the steering shake/wobble for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have right around 5500 miles on my 2020 Denali now, and after putting it through its paces towing, off road and highway driving, I'd say that I'm pretty pleased with the truck all-around. The 10 speed transmission is buttery smooth and shifts very well when towing. As for the "throbbing sound" at idle, I've noticed it in mine since I purchased it in October, and the only other two 2020 HD's at work sound exactly the same. As some have said, the trucks are much taller. Leveled with 35" tires the cab clearance is right at 7'. Another minor plus for me is that you can level and fit 35's with very minor plastic trimming on a -25mm offset wheel. The truck does well offroad and doesn't seem to want to break the rear tires free as much as my LMM when in 2WD in muddy/soft terrain. The bed is slightly longer, and the 5th wheel / gooseneck mounting locations are towards the rear of the rear axle, which all but eliminates the need for a sliding fifth wheel hitch unless you're in extremely tight quarters regularly. The relocation of the DEF fill tube and DEF tank itself makes it nice and easy to fill, as well as more efficient in off road conditions. The 360 camera view is a great advantage when operating in congested areas such as a construction site or crowded parking lot. The camera views for hooking up to your pull behind or fifth wheel/gooseneck trailers are well placed in my opinion, and help out a lot. The rear view mirror camera is great if you have people or objects in your back seat, and gives a wider view of what's behind you than the actual mirror. They also moved the wireless charging system from the lid of the center console, so now you can keep your device charging and retrieve something from the center console simultaneously without forgetting to secure your device and launching it into the rear seat. The tailgate is handy for guys with bad knees like myself for entering / exiting the bed of the truck. It's also nice to be able to reach further into the bed by dropping the upper portion while the tailgate is laying flat. If I'm not mistaken, B&W is developing a tow&stow hitch that is compatible with the multi pro tailgate in its fully open position. The cab seems much larger inside, comparable to that of the 2017+ Ford Super Duty. I know a few folks out there are having their issues with their 2020's, but I'm glad I made this purchase. This is only meant to be my personal experience with my truck and its use in my lifestyle, and I'm not looking to get into any arguments with anyone over differing opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have right around 5500 miles on my 2020 Denali now, and after putting it through its paces towing, off road and highway driving.....................

Thanks for the write-up. Any chance of some pictures of the lift and tires?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have right around 5500 miles on my 2020 Denali now, and after putting it through its paces towing, off road and highway driving, I'd say that I'm pretty pleased with the truck all-around. The 10 speed transmission is buttery smooth and shifts very well when towing. As for the "throbbing sound" at idle, I've noticed it in mine since I purchased it in October, and the only other two 2020 HD's at work sound exactly the same. As some have said, the trucks are much taller. Leveled with 35" tires the cab clearance is right at 7'. Another minor plus for me is that you can level and fit 35's with very minor plastic trimming on a -25mm offset wheel. The truck does well offroad and doesn't seem to want to break the rear tires free as much as my LMM when in 2WD in muddy/soft terrain. The bed is slightly longer, and the 5th wheel / gooseneck mounting locations are towards the rear of the rear axle, which all but eliminates the need for a sliding fifth wheel hitch unless you're in extremely tight quarters regularly. The relocation of the DEF fill tube and DEF tank itself makes it nice and easy to fill, as well as more efficient in off road conditions. The 360 camera view is a great advantage when operating in congested areas such as a construction site or crowded parking lot. The camera views for hooking up to your pull behind or fifth wheel/gooseneck trailers are well placed in my opinion, and help out a lot. The rear view mirror camera is great if you have people or objects in your back seat, and gives a wider view of what's behind you than the actual mirror. They also moved the wireless charging system from the lid of the center console, so now you can keep your device charging and retrieve something from the center console simultaneously without forgetting to secure your device and launching it into the rear seat. The tailgate is handy for guys with bad knees like myself for entering / exiting the bed of the truck. It's also nice to be able to reach further into the bed by dropping the upper portion while the tailgate is laying flat. If I'm not mistaken, B&W is developing a tow&stow hitch that is compatible with the multi pro tailgate in its fully open position. The cab seems much larger inside, comparable to that of the 2017+ Ford Super Duty. I know a few folks out there are having their issues with their 2020's, but I'm glad I made this purchase. This is only meant to be my personal experience with my truck and its use in my lifestyle, and I'm not looking to get into any arguments with anyone over differing opinions. Thanks!
X2 Mine has 16,000 miles on it and I really like the truck. I have absolutely no regrets about the truck. The durability of the 10 speed is my only concern but so far I'm a big fan. The trans is silky smooth and really helps with towing my 37' travel trailer. Just watch the windshield it is only available through GM right now and they are pricey.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Administrator
15,991 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for opinion on your new truck. I was thinking about trading my 2019 Denali HD in on a 2020 because of the damn ticking noise I am hearing after my first oil change but now I am hearing that the 2020s are having the same kind of issue but with the throbbing noise. So why is it just with GM Diesels, I haven't heard of Ford or the Cummings having these kinds of issues. I love My Denali, but this sound in my brand new $75,000 truck is driving me crazy. I thought if I just bought the 2020, GM Engineers surely would of fixed the issue before putting another $80,000 truck out there for all of us buy., but I thought wrong. ugh

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks for opinion on your new truck. I was thinking about trading my 2019 Denali HD in on a 2020 because of the damn ticking noise I am hearing after my first oil change but now I am hearing that the 2020s are having the same kind of issue but with the throbbing noise. So why is it just with GM Diesels, I haven't heard of Ford or the Cummings having these kinds of issues. I love My Denali, but this sound in my brand new $75,000 truck is driving me crazy. I thought if I just bought the 2020, GM Engineers surely would of fixed the issue before putting another $80,000 truck out there for all of us buy., but I thought wrong. ugh

Just floors me when how many people are so concerned about a certain noise in a DIESEL motor. Ive had many gm diesel motors and each generation has its own little sounds. if its so bad go sit in a old 6.9 or 7.3 ford or maybe a late 90s cummins. you wont here them little sounds on the as its so damn loud anyway! I have a new 2020 at4 3500, i hear the tick too, do i think its a problem or annoying? Hell no. To have a diesel truck that when driving it you dont hear the motor at all is unbelievable. so when i get out of the truck, im a realist and will accept a couple little sounds from my engine!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts

Tick is a dmax characteristic. Has been for many years.

GM doesn't consider it an issue.
And neither do most operators.

Not uncommon for new owners to wonder about it, there have been many many threads on the subject over the years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As I stated this is my first Diesel and the noise wasn't there when I bought the truck new with 6 miles on it and then after my first 5000 mile service it starts with a noise that wasn't there before I have the service, that is all I am saying.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Chuckster, the Duramax ticking noise is very common, as the others have said. It's most prevalent after an oil change and slowly goes away until your next change, generally. Search "Typewriter Tick Duramax" and check it out. I would hate to see you trade in a perfectly good truck because of a harmless tick. I've talked to others who use a friction modifier additive in their oil and it makes the tick go away. I've always just learned to live with it after I changed my oil and eventually I don't even notice that its gone. Just some food for thought. Now, coming from a guy who test drove a 2019 and 2020 in the same day, I'm definitely happy I went with the 2020, as I said in my post in this thread previously.

·
Registered
408 Posts
As I stated this is my first Diesel and the noise wasn't there when I bought the truck new with 6 miles on it and then after my first 5000 mile service it starts with a noise that wasn't there before I have the service, that is all I am saying.
I didnt think mine was there either right away but it is.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts