Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
If your planning on buying the 2020 with the L5P Duramax option, read my post below on the problem some folks (including me) are having with a throbbing sound at idle that GM has no response to yet

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
There’s not much on these Diesel sites about the new 2020 so I joined (2020 DURAMAX GMC & CHEVROLET) Facebook group. Lots of information there. The reason we joined because our 2020 GMC 3500 SRW isn’t here yet.
There’s more info on there, like codes that don’t relate to the other previous years.
One is P05AE this has to do with your (Active Aero Shutters)
There’s other codes that the 19,18,17’s won’t see.

I would like to see the 2020 separated from the (Duramax Sixth Generation: 2017+ (L5P)
Maybe a (Duramax Seventh Generation: 2020+ (L5P)

Here is (Gnewman) Thread if you don’t know how to search.
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/786-duramax-sixth-generation-2017-l5p/980096-2020-l5p-throbbing-sound-while-idling.html

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
2020 DURAMAX GMC & CHEVROLET) Facebook group has 2308 members as of today.
Did a search on there and no mention of (Throbbing Sound While Idling)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hope I don't start a flame war here...but.....

I have an '06 LBZ that I bought for towing my 10Klb RV, I wouldn't have gone oil burner if not for that. I got lucky in that the LBZ has not been plagued with massive repairs like so many other models. It has been great. Fuel expense, well, you have to pay to get that kind of performance.

Having said that I'm having trouble understanding the appeal of this small diesel in a 1/2T. You are signing up for all the vagaries of new diesels, low lubrosity issues, fuel contamination, fuel filters, under designed fuel pumps, DEF, etc but not getting any advantages. If you want towing capability you've got a good old fashioned gasser that the industry and the EPA seems to have a handle on designing/regulating.

I hope my comment does not get me banned from the site. :) I do love my LBZ.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I hope I don't start a flame war here...but.....

I have an '06 LBZ that I bought for towing my 10Klb RV, I wouldn't have gone oil burner if not for that. I got lucky in that the LBZ has not been plagued with massive repairs like so many other models. It has been great. Fuel expense, well, you have to pay to get that kind of performance.

Having said that I'm having trouble understanding the appeal of this small diesel in a 1/2T. You are signing up for all the vagaries of new diesels, low lubrosity issues, fuel contamination, fuel filters, under designed fuel pumps, DEF, etc but not getting any advantages. If you want towing capability you've got a good old fashioned gasser that the industry and the EPA seems to have a handle on designing/regulating.

I hope my comment does not get me banned from the site. :) I do love my LBZ.

I still own my 2006 LBZ. While the LBZ is awesome. With the 2020's I finally see a reason to upgrade with the 10 speed and power. I could not stand the half assed design of the DEF tank hanging under the right front cab. I am waiting until 2021 and let the first year bugs get worked out. I'm not a fan of the Chevy's look. The GMC's are okay. I don't like the interiors or the mirrors on the trucks. Perhaps GM leapfrogs Ford on power for 2021. They better do something......

I've got my eye on a 2021 Denali 3500 CC SRW or a F350 Platinum Tremor CC SRW. Waiting to see TFL's Gauntlet and reviews.

I'm also a member of the FB 2020 GMC Duramax page since there was nothing really happening here with info.

I agree the 2020's need their own page/forum.

Reactions: D.Camilleri

·
Administrator
16,017 Posts
I would like to see the 2020 separated from the (Duramax Sixth Generation: 2017+ (L5P)
Maybe a (Duramax Seventh Generation: 2020+ (L5P)
I agree the 2020's need their own page/forum.

I've brought this topic up for Admin discussion ...
We'll keep you posted on any changes.
:thumb:

Reactions: D.Camilleri

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I've brought this topic up for Admin discussion ...
We'll keep you posted on any changes.
I hate to nitpick, but I wish the “Generation” would be dropped from the forums titles or fix it to corroborate the actual generation of the engine. It’s a fact that the L5P is the fifth generation of the Duramax, hence the 5 in the L5P. It’s confusing when it says it’s the sixth generation on the forum. It would be much easier and clearer to understand if it simply said “L5P- 2017-19” and “L5P - 2020+”

·
Administrator
16,017 Posts
I hate to nitpick, but I wish the “Generation” would be dropped from the forums titles or fix it to corroborate the actual generation of the engine. It’s a fact that the L5P is the fifth generation of the Duramax, hence the 5 in the L5P. It’s confusing when it says it’s the sixth generation on the forum. It would be much easier and clearer to understand if it simply said “L5P- 2017-19” and “L5P - 2020+”
I'll add this to the discussion as well.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P

The 20+ has a bunch of external engine changes as outlined in the banks video. Engine cooling system changes are at least part of the reason they could increase tow ratings.

So much is changed for the 2020+ powertrain that many discussions about it do not apply to the 17 thru 19 trucks.

·
Registered
501 Posts
FYI, rumor has it gm is upgrading the interiors for 2021, drastically supposedly, to compete with the dodge interior from one article I read.

·
Administrator
16,017 Posts
Thread relocated over to the new 2020 L5P section

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P

The 20+ has a bunch of external engine changes as outlined in the banks video. Engine cooling system changes are at least part of the reason they could increase tow ratings.

So much is changed for the 2020+ powertrain that many discussions about it do not apply to the 17 thru 19 trucks.
According to General Motors, the L5P is the fifth generation, seems like they would know lol. They have LLY and LBZ as same generation.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Often they just refer to them as 'all new', 'next generation' or something similar...

·
Registered
186 Posts
FYI, rumor has it gm is upgrading the interiors for 2021, drastically supposedly, to compete with the dodge interior from one article I read.
There was a guy on You tube that previewed the 2021 interior update for the full size SUV's. IE Suburban/Tahoe and GMC's. He said on the vid that the trucks won't see the upgrade for another year or two but who knows for sure.

I cant wait any longer. I'll have a new 2021 truck by the end of this year. Right now the F350 Tremor looks superior.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Chevy has already reavealed the 2021 Carhartt Edition Silverado HD and it has the same interior as the ‘20.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have owned a 2020 Denali 3500 since October, replacing my 2012. The 10-speed transmission is awesome - can't even feel it shift, and really keeps the engine dead center in the power band. The pedal mapping has been fixed, and now full torque hits from a dead stop with nice engine response. It is incredibly quiet inside on the highway.

They are many nice features that are a real improvement over past models I've owned.

However the 6-way tailgate is a joke - all ready torn up since the cover is plastic on the inside - not the sprayed on stuff, and you'll destroy it if you accidentally open the drop down section with a hitch in the receiver. The 2020's are quite a bit taller, so much that it no longer fits in my garage.

By far the worst is the shake / wobble in the steering wheel. I've been to the dealer 4 times now, and after all the GM fixes, TSB, and balancing the tires 6 times, the problem is better, but still not fixed by a long shot. GM finally told the dealer there is no actual fix and they would not pay for anymore warranty work for the problem.

I drove four others on the lot, and they all have the problem. Some way worse than others. Replacing the crap Goodyear tires seems to have helped for a lot of people - not sure I want to spend $1,200 for new tires on a truck that costs $80K, and it pisses me off that GM knows about a problem, but since they can't figure out how to fix it, they now claim its a "normal condition." If I'd known there was no repair, I wouldn't have bought the truck just because of this.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
By far the worst is the shake / wobble in the steering wheel. I've been to the dealer 4 times now, and after all the GM fixes, TSB, and balancing the tires 6 times, the problem is better, but still not fixed by a long shot. GM finally told the dealer there is no actual fix and they would not pay for anymore warranty work for the problem.

I drove four others on the lot, and they all have the problem. Some way worse than others.
I wonder if this would help a little
https://suspensionmaxx.com/product/SMX-SSB25kit

1 - 20 of 62 Posts