Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now the proud owner of a Silverado 3500HD Duramax. It has the standard 6'11" bed. For nearly the same cost as buying the necessary adapters for my existing traditional Superglide hitch, I can buy a new Andersen Ultimate gooseneck setup (my new truck has the OEM gooseneck prep and gooseneck hitch packages).

On these trucks, the OEM gooseneck mount is set slightly behind the rear axle. It appears that the Andersen hitch has a buiilt-in offset that moves the ball back a bit more (5.375"). And, the kingpin adapter moves the ball receiver a bit forward on the pinbox (4") pushing the trailer back a total of 9.375". All of this creates more clearance to the cab - which is wonderful assuming you still have clearance to the sides and tailgate.

My concern is how this might affect the stability of the trailer while towing (chucking, etc.). Is anyone using this exact setup with success (or not)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI .. I bought the Andersen hitch and installed it. I have a relatively short pin box. So, no clearance issues to the sides and tailgate. I am able to enjoy the entire 9.375" of offset and it clears the cab by a mile. I'm still breaking the truck in so I haven't tried a long trip with it - only around the block to test clearances. I have a trip scheduled for end of July after which I'll know more about the hitch's performance (chucking, etc.). I'll report back in case anyone else is interested in this truck/hitch combo.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts