Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little frustrated right now. I cannot get the running lights on my utility trailer to work. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow but was hoping I could save the trip.

- All other functions work, turn, brake, flash, etc

- I added the adapter for Led lights, same problem.

- Both the trailer and my adapters work properly on another older truck.

What am I missing? I have checked every fuse I can find that references the trailer. I have a little plug in trailer adapter tester that confirms that the running lights are not being powered even when the other functions work perfectly fine.

Also to add, when I got this truck the headlights would NOT come on. They had to replace the whole fuse box under the hood to get them to work.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
18,002 Posts
#41 underhood
20200914_202542.jpg

·
Administrator
17,724 Posts
Ha, you were the one I was wanting to reply!

But, I checked that first and it's fine, I even replaced it with no change. I'm at the dealer right now. Weird one.
Maybe the contacts for that fuse slot have spread apart, not making contact with the fuse.:confused:

·
Premium Member
18,002 Posts
Have you actually test light probed the fuse at both sides?
12 on both, problem is downstream.
12 on one side, bad fuse.
No 12 either side, problem is upstream.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it back this afternoon. Fuse #82 "TIM" was blown. I don't know what TIM is, but this fixed it.

Just a note for anybody else that may have this issue, my truck does have the 5th wheel prep.

·
Administrator
17,724 Posts
Got it back this afternoon. Fuse #82 "TIM" was blown. I don't know what TIM is, but this fixed it.

Just a note for anybody else that may have this issue, my truck does have the 5th wheel prep.
Glad your issue is resolved.
Thanks for giving us an update!
(y)

·
Premium Member
18,002 Posts
I believe "TIM" is the Trailer Information Module (RPO U1D). It is also referred to as the Trailer Lighting Control Module.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I hope they fixed the condition that caused the fuse to blow, not just replaced the fuse.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope they fixed the condition that caused the fuse to blow, not just replaced the fuse.
That's my concern. From the headlights not working driving off the lot, to the fuse box getting replaced, to not having trailer lights, I will be watching everything like a hawk from now on.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blew the fuse again, dealership is suggesting it is my all-LED trailer having something to do with it. I'm not buying it.

·
Administrator
17,724 Posts
Blew the fuse again, dealership is suggesting it is my all-LED trailer having something to do with it. I'm not buying it.
Check the contacts for #82 fuse. If the fuse contacts are bent you may get a short with road vibration

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
When you say 'not having trailer lights', is your trailer hooked up when this happens? Or does the fuse blow without trailer attached?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts