Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I bought a 2019 gmc Denali in March this year, and I just did my second oil change on it, noticed after the first one and after the one I just did there’s a ticking noise that sounds like it’s coming from the area of the oil filter, Seems to go away after some miles on the oil change, Anyone know what’s causing this? Something to worry about ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey there, I bought a 2019 gmc Denali in March this year, and I just did my second oil change on it, noticed after the first one and after the one I just did there’s a ticking noise that sounds like it’s coming from the area of the oil filter, Seems to go away after some miles on the oil change, Anyone know what’s causing this? Something to worry about ?
I had the same experience, the ticking started after the first oil change I did, then after about 500 miles it stopped. I'm due for another oil change very soon, possibly this weekend, we'll see if it happens again. Are you using synthetic oil? I use Rotella T4 15-W40. I heard that the tick isn't as bad with synthetic oil, but haven't witnessed it myself.

The dealer did the first oil change, I don't know what they put in it, but it didn't tick when I picked it up from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2019 Silverado HD 2500 LTZ ZR1 Metallic Black 6.6 Duramax. 2003 Silverado HD 6.0 Gasser. 2003 Monte
143 Posts
I am changing to the synthetic oil in a few months. I have not changed the oil yet on my 2019. I bought it used so I can’t comment on the ticking after an oil change. The dealership owes me two oil changes and I am going to pay the difference in regular oil and the synthetic oil if there’s any difference in price at the dealership.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Typical duramax tick after oil change. Normal and common. You can chase it all you want with oil types/brand and probably not get anywhere. Its fine.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Search 'typewriter tick' on the dmax forums -- this one and others.

It's been a duramax thing for at least 15 years.
It's most common after oil change.
It often becomes less noticeable as the oil gets some miles on it.

Some claim certain oils don't do it.
Others still have the tick when using the same oil.

·
Premium Member
2019 Silverado HD 2500 LTZ ZR1 Metallic Black 6.6 Duramax. 2003 Silverado HD 6.0 Gasser. 2003 Monte
143 Posts
Search 'typewriter tick' on the dmax forums -- this one and others.

It's been a duramax thing for at least 15 years.
It's most common after oil change.
It often becomes less noticeable as the oil gets some miles on it.

Some claim certain oils don't do it.
Others still have the tick when using the same oil.
I am changing to the synthetic oil because it is a better oil no matter what motor you put it in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the same experience, the ticking started after the first oil change I did, then after about 500 miles it stopped. I'm due for another oil change very soon, possibly this weekend, we'll see if it happens again. Are you using synthetic oil? I use Rotella T4 15-W40. I heard that the tick isn't as bad with synthetic oil, but haven't witnessed it myself.

The dealer did the first oil change, I don't know what they put in it, but it didn't tick when I picked it up from the dealer.
[/QUOT

first oil change I did was rotella T4 15-w40 now I switched to amsoil HD diesel 15-40 synthetic. Gonna stick with it

·
Premium Member
143 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Typewrtier tick isn't something new.

This bulletin (from a long time ago on a dmax forum) was updated in 2008.
There may be newer bulletins/updates on this subject.

INFORMATION

Bulletin No.: 02-06-01-022H

Date: August 18 2008
Subject:
Information on Engine Ticking Noise

Models:
2001-2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic)
2003-2009 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series
2006-2009 Chevrolet Express
2001-2007 GMC Sierra (Classic)
2003-2009 GMC TopKick C4500/C5500 Series
2006-2009 GMC Savana

with 6.6L Duramax(TM) Diesel Engine (VINs D, 1, 2 - RPOs LBZ, LB7, LLY)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add model years and remove RPO LMM. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-01-022G (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit a random ticking noise that is most audible on an engine with a coolant temperature of 70°C (158°F) or higher and from idle to approximately 1500 RPM. The noise usually is most noticeable at the rear of the drivers side front wheel well. Customers may also comment about hearing a tick noise inside the vehicle at idle such as when sitting at a drive through window. All 6600 Duramax(TM) diesel engines have this condition; however some are more audible than others. Engine build variation from engine to engine contributes to differences in perceived volume. All Duramax(TM) engines are manufactured to very close tolerances to meet the durability and reliability standards.

This noise is caused by the relationship of the engine cylinder block crankshaft journals bearing inserts and the oil film. This relationship may allow a vibration that resonates through the cylinder block and is heard as a metallic ticking noise. The noise could be described as an irregular ticking or clacking sound like random typing on a mechanical typewriter.

This condition has been present in diesel engines produced for the last 20 or more years. The overall noise reduction in engines produced today makes this noise seem new when in fact it was masked by other noises in the past. Many manufacturers such as Isuzu Hino Mitsubishi and Nissan report a similar condition in their diesel engines. Testing and engine teardowns with this condition reveal no condition that would affect reliability or durability of this engine.

Dealers should not attempt to compare any customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect conclusion that the vehicle has a condition. This noise is a normal operating characteristic of the engine. This noise has no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs for this noise.
Important: Replacing the engine or internal components for this noise will not reduce or eliminate the noise.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Typewrtier tick isn't something new.

This bulletin (from a long time ago on a dmax forum) was updated in 2008.
There may be newer bulletins/updates on this subject.

INFORMATION

Bulletin No.: 02-06-01-022H

Date: August 18 2008
Subject:
Information on Engine Ticking Noise

Models:
2001-2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic)
2003-2009 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series
2006-2009 Chevrolet Express
2001-2007 GMC Sierra (Classic)
2003-2009 GMC TopKick C4500/C5500 Series
2006-2009 GMC Savana

with 6.6L Duramax(TM) Diesel Engine (VINs D, 1, 2 - RPOs LBZ, LB7, LLY)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add model years and remove RPO LMM. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-01-022G (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit a random ticking noise that is most audible on an engine with a coolant temperature of 70°C (158°F) or higher and from idle to approximately 1500 RPM. The noise usually is most noticeable at the rear of the drivers side front wheel well. Customers may also comment about hearing a tick noise inside the vehicle at idle such as when sitting at a drive through window. All 6600 Duramax(TM) diesel engines have this condition; however some are more audible than others. Engine build variation from engine to engine contributes to differences in perceived volume. All Duramax(TM) engines are manufactured to very close tolerances to meet the durability and reliability standards.

This noise is caused by the relationship of the engine cylinder block crankshaft journals bearing inserts and the oil film. This relationship may allow a vibration that resonates through the cylinder block and is heard as a metallic ticking noise. The noise could be described as an irregular ticking or clacking sound like random typing on a mechanical typewriter.

This condition has been present in diesel engines produced for the last 20 or more years. The overall noise reduction in engines produced today makes this noise seem new when in fact it was masked by other noises in the past. Many manufacturers such as Isuzu Hino Mitsubishi and Nissan report a similar condition in their diesel engines. Testing and engine teardowns with this condition reveal no condition that would affect reliability or durability of this engine.

Dealers should not attempt to compare any customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect conclusion that the vehicle has a condition. This noise is a normal operating characteristic of the engine. This noise has no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs for this noise.
Important: Replacing the engine or internal components for this noise will not reduce or eliminate the noise.
Good information

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Any of them according to GM.
All that I have read since your post states that the oil will bubble if you have to much oil in the vehicle and it’s not normal. I have never seen bubbles in my oil before, however I don’t check the oil levels unless my vehicle is cold and been sitting for a long time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.