Diesel Place banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Split Second

Earlier this week I was online looking for more info on the 3.0. I went to Chevys website then GMC's website to try an configure a truck. No luck as it were. But when I went to the Fleet website I had configured a 1500 with a diesel. What! Yes there it was and I showed my wife the engine specs. The next day I went back in to copy the screen image to send to a buddy of mine and the website was down. Later that evening it was up with the Diesel option removed from the site. Dang! Missed my chance to get the image. Oh well, it was there for a brief moment.

·
Registered
612 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Saw a couple youtube vids and there's no timing belt, It's a chain and at the rear of the engine. Huge combo catalyst/DPF combo
Double piston high pressure fuel pump (35,000 psi), Each piston runs 3 cylinders.
Water cooled intercooler on top of engine
2 EGR systems, hi pressure for warm up then low pressure after.
Engineer said they went with straight 6 layout for more torque, less vibrations and better packaging/insulating of the hotter components

·
Registered
227 Posts
Saw a couple youtube vids and there's no timing belt, It's a chain and at the rear of the engine. Huge combo catalyst/DPF combo
Double piston high pressure fuel pump (35,000 psi), Each piston runs 3 cylinders.
Water cooled intercooler on top of engine
2 EGR systems, hi pressure for warm up then low pressure after.
Engineer said they went with straight 6 layout for more torque, less vibrations and better packaging/insulating of the hotter components
That portion I'd believe since cylinder layout doesn't determine torque and RPM band.

The timing chain in the rear may help noise but with GMs track record of reliable long timing chains....I'd be concerned. The large DPF should work better being so close and the post CAT EGR should really cut down on plugged EGR systems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
EPA estimates for the 3.0 Duramax released this morning: 23 city / 33 highway / 27 combined. Superior to all others on the market, including the smaller 2.8 Duramax in the Colorado that EPA estimates at 20 / 30 / 23.

·
Registered
677 Posts
It sure has a poor tow rating compared the the GM 6.2L or the competition.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It sure has a poor tow rating compared the the GM 6.2L or the competition.
I think anybody considering one of the 1/2t diesel offerings for a tow rig; especially compared with the 6.2, 3.5, or 5.7 gassers, has unrealistic expectations.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts