Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Silverado midnight edition remanufactured by HSV
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue that has only happened while towing on decent roads where the "service stabilitrak" light will flash on then the cruise control will disable. It can be reactivated straight away and then will be fine for a while. I took it to the dealer who obviously found nothing but did a software update while they had it. Now it's still been doing it but it doesn't say "service stabilitrak" but just "stabilitrak" and the cruise control deactivates. It sometimes does it in succession maybe 5 or 6 times then it may not do it for a 100Kms or so. Vehicle is LTZ Midnight edition with 40000 Kms on the odometer

·
Administrator
16,738 Posts
I have an issue that has only happened while towing on decent roads where the "service stabilitrak" light will flash on then the cruise control will disable. It can be reactivated straight away and then will be fine for a while. I took it to the dealer who obviously found nothing but did a software update while they had it. Now it's still been doing it but it doesn't say "service stabilitrak" but just "stabilitrak" and the cruise control deactivates. It sometimes does it in succession maybe 5 or 6 times then it may not do it for a 100Kms or so. Vehicle is LTZ Midnight edition with 40000 Kms on the odometer
Cruise will deactivate when an active trouble code is detected by the ECM.
Fix the code issue and the cruise will work

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not getting any codes. Dealer checked it with their diagnostic tool when I was getting the " service stabilitrak" message.

·
Administrator
16,738 Posts
Not getting any codes. Dealer checked it with their diagnostic tool when I was getting the " service stabilitrak" message.
Nothing in "Stored" history?
I would start inspecting the Stabilitrack wire harness and look for any loose connection, rubbed through wire insulation, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing in "Stored" history?
I would start inspecting the Stabilitrack wire harness and look for any loose connection, rubbed through wire insulation, etc.
Cheers. Was kind of thinking maybe that cos it did it less after I had been on some badly corrugated unsealed road. I'll get under there

·
Administrator
16,738 Posts
Cheers. Was kind of thinking maybe that cos it did it less after I had been on some badly corrugated unsealed road. I'll get under there
A few cold tinnies of Vic Bitters and a little crawl under the truck and you might find the issue (y)

·
Premium Member
17,935 Posts
The most problematic wheel sensor wire is the right rear one. It rubs on the leaf spring.
It would also behoove you check the front hubs for wobble. Jack the truck up and rock it at 12 and 6 o'clock.
The only other easy check is tire rolling diameter. If the tread depth is the same on all four, and they are the same tire brand/ size, you can rule that out. If not, place a piece of tape on all four sidewalls at 6 o'clock and drive forward 10 revolutions until one tape is back at 6 o'clock. All the others cannot be more than an inch from 6 o'clock. To ensure 6 o'clock placement, I use a plumb bob. Any variation of more than an inch can confuse the stabilitrac by indicating wheel slip, especially at road speed. Same goes for a sloppy front wheel hub assembly.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine was a faulty wheel sensor. I don't know if I-285 is a decent road. But slight bump, cruise control kicks out, "service stabilitrak" light flashed on. After a minute I hit resume no more issues rest of trip. But my dealer did say it set a code.

·
Banned
20 Posts
This might be a reach, but since it only does it with a trailer, are you having any issues with sway? I seem to recall that stabilitrak will detect trailer sway and activate the trailer brakes momentary to straighten things out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah. No sway but I did recall after I posted that the first time it did it I wasn't towing. Every other time I have been

Reactions: Boat.Hauler

·
Registered
327 Posts
Is it possible that it is actually a traction control or stability control event happening? The light will flash when an event happens and it will not set any codes. Sometimes it can be nearly impossible to detect to the driver other than the light flashing.

Especially since you say there’s no codes stored and it did not say “Service stabilitrac”

I’m not at work to check, but it would make sense to me if cruse would cancel if a traction/stability event took place.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah maybe. It's just that it's only happened on good roads ( comparitively cos most of our aussie roads are ****) yet I towed 100Km on loose corrugated surface and it never happened once

1 - 12 of 12 Posts