Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my HC in September and didn't like the factory rake. After researching some I decided to try the Rough Country leveling kit and some larger tires, just keys and shock spacers. First mistake, as the truck was not level and rode like crap.
Next mistake, had another shop talk me into the Rough Country 3.5" kit with new shocks and upper control arms. This got the truck level, but the ride is bouncy in the front and has some bump steer. The shop only put the front components in and did not install the rear blocks or shocks.

I had a 2007 before this truck with the Cognito arms, braces, Bilsteins and it rode pretty good.

I would like some real world opinions on what kit will give me the best ride and level the truck. Right now I am looking at the Cognito kit with Fox reservoir shocks, BDS kit, and CST.
I would like to make this my last trial. lol
P.S., I have some Rough Country stuff for sale

·
Registered
16 Posts
I run the same RC kit and have not had issues as you are. We did turn down to leave about 1/2 to 3/4 inches of rake so perhaps that helps? Also mine is a 2015 so not sure if anything has changed. I originally wanted the cognitos but my installer (extremely experienced as I have been using him for over 20 years) has had several cognito failures at the ball joints.

My ride is currently better than stock and I tow heavy as I have a drw. It may be the kit but possibly it’s the setup.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clearance is correct on the a arm travel. I don't know what the problem is. Maybe the shocks are bad? That would explain the bounce. The bump steer issue maybe multiplied with this electric steering assist? Either way I am not happy with Rough Country and it will be replaced. The pitman and idler brace kit will hopefully eliminate the bump steer.
I wish they would just beef up the rear suspension from the factory and sale them leveled! Would save a lot of headache

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree the factory should offer a level option. FWIW my installer has had better results from the Zone kit with fox shocks, it’s about double the price of RC but has good QC and supposedly quality ball joints.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had about 200k miles on my 06 with cognito 7" and rode and steered like a dream. Didn't even think about anything on the 18, took it to have a 4" kit with all the steering done on this one too. Can't be happier then my cognito setup

Reactions: camozuki

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting closer to pulling that $3500.00 trigger, bad as I hate to. Any more input?

Reactions: Billman812

·
Registered
250 Posts
I also run the Zone kit with the upgraded FOX shocks, have the front set at 2 1/2" and have the rear 2" blocks installed so I have some rake.

After switching from the factory wheels and tires and going to a 20" wheel with 34" tires it lost some comfort, after installing this kit with the fox shocks it rides just as good as it did with factory wheels.

I think the Fox shocks make all the difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice truck! I'm going with the Cognito 4-6" with Fox remotes if I ever get a little time off!

I also run the Zone kit with the upgraded FOX shocks, have the front set at 2 1/2" and have the rear 2" blocks installed so I have some rake.

After switching from the factory wheels and tires and going to a 20" wheel with 34" tires it lost some comfort, after installing this kit with the fox shocks it rides just as good as it did with factory wheels.

I think the Fox shocks make all the difference.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I find that the best way to improve the ride and level the truck is to hook a heavy trailer to it or haul a few thousand pounds in the bed like it was designed to do. Or if I don’t need to tow or haul heavy I can really improve the ride by driving my Accord.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I find that the best way to improve the ride and level the truck is to hook a heavy trailer to it or haul a few thousand pounds in the bed like it was designed to do. Or if I don’t need to tow or haul heavy I can really improve the ride by driving my Accord.

Lol, always a smartazz in every bunch. Thanks, Captain Obvious! :shake:

Reactions: Billman812

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered the Cognito stage 2 kit with Fox remotes. New shoes will be 35x12.5 Cooper STT Pro's on my stock High Country wheels. If I don't like how the stock wheels look with mud tires, they will get replaced soon too. I guess I get to cut on my $70k+ truck!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice looking truck! I have always preferred the factory wheels with larger tires and a small lift.
Yeah, I still wanted to keep the towing ability and keep the smoothest ride while level. The High Country wheels look good to me and keep my tires tucked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts