Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. We have an '18 Silverado 3500 dually.

We are looking at a '21 Grand Design Solitude. Spec sheet says it has the upgraded 8,000 lbs axles with disc brakes. This all I know at this point.

After some Google ing, factory brake controller compatibility came up. Will my brake controller work right off the bat?

Wish I knew more about the brakes on the trailer....

·
Registered
138 Posts
It should. However, when you go to check it out, don't be surprised if while sitting still and you push on the brake pedal that the pump doesn't run. That is how the factory brake controller works. If it works with the manual knob it will work while moving. Some dexter system pumps don't work.

If it won't work, there is a part that hooks inline that will allow it to work, hopefully the trailer dealer has it stock if needed.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Mikey.

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
I have a 2017 3500 HD SRW and a 2018 Grand Design 310GK that I installed Kodiak disc brakes on. No issues at all, just be prepared for a slight delay when the brakes engage. The discs are so far superior to the drums, the drums are out classed, the trailers are too heavy.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got a 2018 3500 and tow a trailer equipped with disc brakes using a Dexter MC. No issues. As Mikey52 said, you can't engage the brakes with the brake pedal when sitting still. You have to use the brake control levers so that is what I do when performing a pull test after I hook up the trailer. I think the owners manual talks about this characteristic of the brake controller.

·
Registered
2019 GMC 2500 Denali
51 Posts
Hey all. We have an '18 Silverado 3500 dually.

We are looking at a '21 Grand Design Solitude. Spec sheet says it has the upgraded 8,000 lbs axles with disc brakes. This all I know at this point.

After some Google ing, factory brake controller compatibility came up. Will my brake controller work right off the bat?

Wish I knew more about the brakes on the trailer....
Does the trailer have electric or EOH brakes? If electric, yes. If EOH, it's supposed to work now, but not sure if they always work or not without a "fooler". My trailer has EOH brakes and has a CAM that was necessary with my old truck, and it works perfect with my '19. Either a controller assist module (CAM) or a couple of magnets wired in should get it working.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx to all who have replied.

In using Google, it sounds like they should be electric over hydraulic brakes. The parts department at the dealership told me my truck won't work with this setup. He called his local dealer. Where mine blew me off with no answer. They sell a Curt Echo brake controller that will work. Google that s#*t and tell me what you think......

·
Registered
2019 GMC 2500 Denali
51 Posts
If you have an factory controller, you shouldn't need an aftermarket controller. The factory controller will work. See #6.
You might call the dealer and ask what brake system it has.

·
Registered
33 Posts
For the money your spending the dealership will make it work
No worky no buyie

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx guys.

Still no date for arrival.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts