Diesel Place banner
81 - 100 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
There are plenty of vehicles on the road with functioning hood scoops without an issue. Don't see why it would be any different now.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
More power and torque. More EPA stuff, some added bells and whistles and probably strssing the engine for a bit morel than it was designed for in 04 and 05. A scoop on the hood? Please take me back to high school.

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ SRW
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
The existing Duramax engine has been taken to the limit in terms of power and torque. The 2017s will have a new engine.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
That new block page was accidentally released quite awhile ago. A "new" block could simply mean it's been strengthened, reinforced, or maybe it's CGI. Obviously new doesn't have to mean all new. I could very well be wrong, but I would be very surprised if the bore/stroke, bore centerline, or any of the architecture has changed. I have no problem being wrong, but I just haven't seen much evidence of an all new motor.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
It's my impression that there's "no evidence" of a new motor because nobody is talking. It's the best kept secret of the century. Nobody I know in the Duramax plant or GM Engineering will talk about it. They won't deny it, or confirm it, or release any significant information, except for teasers like the fuel and emissions programming will be in-house instead of Bosch.

So I've provided some limited media information - evidence that there could be a new block, and others in this forum who have contacts in GM have also posted notes that anyone close to the engine is not talking. There has also been a posting that the original release date for the 2017s was delayed, which a local dealer told me he also heard was associated with the new engine. So let's hear it BanksLB7Duramax, where have you looked for evidence, and what have you been told by people you know in GM?

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
I was told a new engine and transmission for 2017. And for those rumors, I ordered and took delivery of a 2016! One reason, taxes! I was able to get it 2015' business! Second reason, I have no desire to try a new engine/transmission package! So I chose the 2016, however, I still think that hood scoop is just sexy..lol It really adds some character to the front of the truck and I think it will compliment the fat azz of my dually!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'm curious if the hood will be present no matter which engine or just on the Duramax? I wonder if the gas engine will have a "scoopless" hood? Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
129 Posts
It seems to me I remembered reading that it was for the Duramax only, usually I only post things I am pretty certain about, but I am not 100% sure.

It would seem fair if you're paying 7k plus for a diesel engine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Order books open?

It was written that the orderbooks would open 18th Aug. If so, are buyers ordering trucks with this new Duramax without knowing the hp and torquenumbers. Strange.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
I don't think buyers can order trucks yet, unless their dealers invite them to approve the specs for the factory orders. Dealers are ordering initial stock, but there are no brochures or specs for retail customers yet.

·
Registered
126 Posts
GM should be training the NSA how to keep information under wraps. Can't believe we know virtually nothing about the L5P, just a few weeks from it's public intro.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
They keep delaying it probley Texas state fair.

You would think with it being so quiet that they would be doing a total overhaul like for the next generation truck... in 2019/2020

kinda surprised they aren't adding gears to the allison like they have with semis

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
A local dealer suggested he could order a '16 until August 27th.
And he said it will be a while before they can order '17 stock. And longer before they could spec out and order a special order.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
We've seen schedules posted elsewhere in the forum that indicated that dealers could start ordering 2017s as of August 18th, so now there's conflicting info out there.

81 - 100 of 191 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.