Diesel Place banner
61 - 80 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
It is my understanding from a contact in Duramax that the programming of the emissions system is being done by GM rather than using the Bosch programming that was used up to 2016.

The system itself will still have a DOC (Diesel Oxygen Catalyst), and an SCR/DPF (Selective Catalytic Reducer/Diesel Particulate Filter) so the trucks will still need DEF, if that's what you wanted to know.
Are they going to the electronic DPF for regen's instead of dumping diesel into it? GM Patented it a few years ago

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ SRW
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
If we are talking about the same thing, the idea behind electrically assisted regenerations is to rapidly heat the DPF using an internal electric heater, probably 24 volts. There would still be a need to use injected fuel though to maintain the temperature once the electric heater had done its job and the soot reached flash point.

Clearly fuel has to be used to generate the power to run the electric heater but it is supposed to be more efficient because the DPF heats up more quickly so the net fuel usage is less.

Anyway, if the plan is to implement electrically assisted regenerations on the 2017s, nobody on my contact list is talking, so I don't have an answer.

Maybe someone with direct knowledge is willing to give us a clue. If not, we'll find out in September at the Texas State Fair.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If we are talking about the same thing, the idea behind electrically assisted regenerations is to rapidly heat the DPF using an internal electric heater, probably 24 volts. There would still be a need to use injected fuel though to maintain the temperature once the electric heater had done its job and the soot reached flash point.

Clearly fuel has to be used to generate the power to run the electric heater but it is supposed to be more efficient because the DPF heats up more quickly so the net fuel usage is less.

Anyway, if the plan is to implement electrically assisted regenerations on the 2017s, nobody on my contact list is talking, so I don't have an answer.

Maybe someone with direct knowledge is willing to give us a clue. If not, we'll find out in September at the Texas State Fair.

Yes thats what I was talking about. Thanks Hopefully sooner then Texas State Fair but if not then we will find out in September :roll eyes:

Its like its to quiet. I understand its a Billion dollar business (Pick Ups Trucks) but this better be amazing for 2017 or we are in for a HUGE let down

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I know we're still a few months away from dealers being able to order 2017s, but by now there must be some documentation/specifications available out there in GM offices, and the Duramax plant must be close to being retooled, or has been retooled, for the new engine.

Surely by now someone out there can throw us a few scraps of information. Please, please, please.

Reactions: DMaxDude

·
Registered
219 Posts
Also waiting for more info. In the market for a new dually but want to wait on pulling the trigger until I see what 2017 GM's are like. Right now i'm leaning towards another new megacab dually

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Thanks for those pictures. Looks like the 2015/16 body style, plus the air scoop. Now if we could just get some engine information !!!!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Well, yes, we all know it won't be the LML. In fact, it's a whole new build. The Duramax had reached the limit in terms of safely squeezing the last bit of HP and torque out of it. But what have they done in terms of HP and torque for the 2017 release??

I'm not as pessimistic in terms of "a whole new bag of problems". I've had a 2007.5, 2008, 2011, 2013 and 2015 and never had any issues, even though the 2007.5, 2011, 2013 and 2015 all had significant changes to software or engine specs. The new engine will obviously have been designed to undergo several "upgrades" over the next few model years.

·
Registered
129 Posts
How about a 6.7L, will that work for ya?
It's a start, but if that .1 liter is converted to ounces it is 3.38 fluid ounces. About a half-cup of coffee.

In cubic inches that .1 liter is 6.1 cubic inches.

I would enjoy a full cup of coffee! :HiHi:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Not sure if it's legit or not but a few things I dug up were saying the new engine will be wearing a new turbo, Borg Warner. It didn't say how many or any other type of info. This was just in comments sections of articles on the new trucks so who knows.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
A WHOLE LOT of people must know all about the new trucks by now because dealers will be able to order the 2017s in mid-August. Engines have been built, pre-production trucks are under test, brochures and specs have already been printed or are in design, official photos have been taken, there's probably a cutaway engine somewhere ready for an auto show, engine torque and power tests have been completed and the emissions information has probably been sent to the EPA. It's AMAZING that there aren't any leaks.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Not sure if it's legit or not but a few things I dug up were saying the new engine will be wearing a new turbo, Borg Warner. It didn't say how many or any other type of info. This was just in comments sections of articles on the new trucks so who knows.
I wonder why they went Borg where Garrett has been damn good to GM.

Guess we shall see :confuzeld

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
OK, the CAMO IS OFF the 2017 test trucks according to folks at one of the GM test facilities, so more pictures should be circulating soon.

Has anyone got any?? Especially under the hood ???

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Hope they test these new hoods here in Fl during a good tropical storm.... Looks like a water scoop.

Remember having to replace a 6.2 for a farmer in 82 because he ran through some water, GM came out with the "cyclone" deal air inlet to help in that area

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Check out the article in the link in my last post and you'll see that they've designed in a water separator for the scoop.

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
Check out the article in the link in my last post and you'll see that they've designed in a water separator for the scoop.
I saw that pic when it was released and can't wait till it gets a part number!! I want :coolnana:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I read another article yesterday about the air scoop. A GM engineer was quoted as saying that heavy rain is not the biggest challenge when it comes to stopping water from getting passed through the scoop - it's the fine mist spray from traffic, particularly large trucks. Fine mist is hard to separate from the air flow.

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
If I can buy all the pieces to make it function properly I will, if not, it will be blocked off! I think it looks awesome! I don't really like that empty "valley" in the middle of my hood. It's funny, when the hood has water on it and I'm driving, it splashes off and back up to the windshield as I'm coming to a stop more than it does while driving...

61 - 80 of 191 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.