Diesel Place banner
41 - 60 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Spot on! It severely annoys me, and it's a big reason why my '15 GMC Duramax mileages 4 MPG worse than the '14 Ram Cummins I had. The Cummins will get into high gear quickly, and it locks the converter in 2nd or 3rd gear...can't remember. You can be doing 40 MPH in a Duramax, and it'll be at 1,700 RPM with the converter unlocked. I like the truck, but the Dodge is better in mileage and electronics both.

Trevor

What they really need is for ME to select the gear the tranny is running in
Look, running empty, doing a gordon lightfoot, and the durn thing is winding away and refusing to shift
The engine has gobs of torque just off idle and I'm doing 35 on a suburban parkway with the engine around 1600 and refuses to shift, that engine should be able to push me along in 5th or 6th at 1200 rpm
Case in point was we moved a combine 90 miles. I ghosted along after it at 15 mph just running interference for traffic and I got a lousy 17mpg - I was fit to be tied becasue it refused to shift and let the engine run just barely off idle - no reason in this world I should not have been getting 30 mpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am a little surprised that the '14 Ram you had was better in mileage. My BIL has a 14 Ram 2500 with the auto trans and he is consistently 2-3 mpg behind my truck on the same route (hand checked) My father in law has a 14 Ram with the manual trans, and he will be the same as me or a touch over (around 1 mpg). The theme is the same when pulling trailers.

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ SRW
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
It's fascinating how this thread has morphed in to a discussion about mpg on Dodge RAM trucks. Is there a chance we can get it back on track??

Does ANYONE have a hint what is happening re the 2017s ?? When will they be announced, when will dealers get their order book info, when is the assembly plant going to be retooled, anything at all that would give a hint ??

·
Registered
171 Posts
I heard they was gonna have 180HP and close to 400 LBS of torque. Wait, that was the 1997 6.5's. It's 20 years later and can you imagine what is yet to come? Patience is the key, lol.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Suppose to debut @ The State Fair of Texas.

Denso fuel system, and Continental controller.

No more Bosch.

NO more Garrett Turbo, But new one is bigger...

Block and crank have changed slightly

Still an Allison Transmission, but with updates

Suppose to start being built in July

·
Registered
294 Posts
Picture of NEW BLOCK????

This is back from 2013 but...

Defiance Plant Makes 2017 DMax Beta Blocks
Defiance Plant 1 recently produced the first block castings for the next generation of Duramax engines. These iron block castings will be machined at the GM Powertrain Engineering Headquarters in Pontiac and be used for the 2017 MY Beta test engines. Many thanks to the Defiance folks that helped make these blocks in the core room, foundry and finishing as well as maintenance and the pattern shop. It is important that our plant be involved right from the start with the development of the next great Duramax engine.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/155276-2017-model-year-new-duramax-engine/

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So Dmax Fan, your posting seems to be very detailed - any chance you can tell us where you got such detailed information because I'd like to follow up with the source. I want to find out when dealers will get their ordering package? Also if GM is first showing it in late September in Texas, how come they're starting to build in July? Are they going to store tens of thousands of them until after September?

·
Registered
294 Posts
So Dmax Fan, your posting seems to be very detailed - any chance you can tell us where you got such detailed information because I'd like to follow up with the source. I want to find out when dealers will get their ordering package? Also if GM is first showing it in late September in Texas, how come they're starting to build in July? Are they going to store tens of thousands of them until after September?
When the trucks were suppose to debut in the spring, they were going to start building them in July. But they have backed it off. They are suppose to debut at the Texas State Fair.

GM truck build out schedule was updated February 5th ...

2016 Final Orders Due Date (Chevrolet/GMC/2500/3500/RC/DC/CC): TBD

2017 Initial Orders Acceptance (Chevrolet/GMC/2500/3500/RC/DC): 10/24/2016

2017 Initial Production Startup(Chevrolet/GMC/2500/3500/RC/DC): 09/12/2016

2017 Initial Orders Acceptance (Chevrolet/GMC/2500/3500/CC): 08/18/2016

2017 Initial Production Startup(Chevrolet/GMC/2500/3500/CC): 10/17/2016

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Darn. I was preparing to order a 2017, but needed it delivered by late September because of travel plans, so it looks like everything will be delayed a year for me. Thanks for the comprehensive info.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
One more question, I'm probably missing something simple that I should already know, but what do the letters RC, DC, and CC mean ??

·
Registered
101 Posts
RC=Regular Cab, DC=Double Cab, CC=Crew Cab

Reactions: Dmax Fan

·
Registered
101 Posts
What's weird is according to the schedule, they are taking orders earlier for CC, but starting production later, at least compared to RC and DC

·
Registered
294 Posts
so just an updated engine no frame or body changes?

YES suppose to have updated engine and Allison Transmission. Also suppose to have updated front ends. WILL HAVE NEW HOOD with the air holes in them

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I've now confirmed those delayed build dates with a contact in GM who previously wouldn't say a word - previously wouldn't even give me a hint when it was going to happen. But when I emailed my contact a copy of the dates I received a note back saying that yes, there is a delay in the release and expressing surprise that the dates are out in the public domain.

So then I called the dealership I've been working with and confronted the sales manager with the dates. He reluctantly admitted that he had the same information.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Any changes to the DEF system?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
It is my understanding from a contact in Duramax that the programming of the emissions system is being done by GM rather than using the Bosch programming that was used up to 2016.

The system itself will still have a DOC (Diesel Oxygen Catalyst), and an SCR/DPF (Selective Catalytic Reducer/Diesel Particulate Filter) so the trucks will still need DEF, if that's what you wanted to know.

41 - 60 of 191 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.