Diesel Place banner
21 - 39 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ SRW
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Check out the article in the link in my last post and you'll see that they've designed in a water separator for the scoop.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I read another article yesterday about the air scoop. A GM engineer was quoted as saying that heavy rain is not the biggest challenge when it comes to stopping water from getting passed through the scoop - it's the fine mist spray from traffic, particularly large trucks. Fine mist is hard to separate from the air flow.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
The existing Duramax engine has been taken to the limit in terms of power and torque. The 2017s will have a new engine.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
It's my impression that there's "no evidence" of a new motor because nobody is talking. It's the best kept secret of the century. Nobody I know in the Duramax plant or GM Engineering will talk about it. They won't deny it, or confirm it, or release any significant information, except for teasers like the fuel and emissions programming will be in-house instead of Bosch.

So I've provided some limited media information - evidence that there could be a new block, and others in this forum who have contacts in GM have also posted notes that anyone close to the engine is not talking. There has also been a posting that the original release date for the 2017s was delayed, which a local dealer told me he also heard was associated with the new engine. So let's hear it BanksLB7Duramax, where have you looked for evidence, and what have you been told by people you know in GM?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
I don't think buyers can order trucks yet, unless their dealers invite them to approve the specs for the factory orders. Dealers are ordering initial stock, but there are no brochures or specs for retail customers yet.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
We've seen schedules posted elsewhere in the forum that indicated that dealers could start ordering 2017s as of August 18th, so now there's conflicting info out there.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
There has to be a problem, like an engine component issue.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
The salesman was quoting from the Order Book Information posted by GM in February:

GM truck build out schedule was updated February 5th ...

2016 Final Orders Due Date (Chevrolet/GMC/2500/3500/RC/DC/CC): TBD

2017 Initial Orders Acceptance (Chevrolet/GMC/2500/3500/RC/DC): 10/24/2016

2017 Initial Production Startup(Chevrolet/GMC/2500/3500/RC/DC): 09/12/2016

2017 Initial Orders Acceptance (Chevrolet/GMC/2500/3500/CC): 08/18/2016

2017 Initial Production Startup(Chevrolet/GMC/2500/3500/CC): 10/17/2016

This information has been posted in the forum for a few months so it was already public even though the salesman may have only just been given the information.

I saw 2017s being built (pilots) while I was at the Flint Assembly Plant in late July. Dealers are already able to order but they don't know the diesel engine specs. THAT'S the information we're waiting for....

Reactions: Dmax Fan

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Yeah DMax Fan, thanks for posting that info a while ago. It helped me to see that I couldn't order a 2017 in time to get it before I headed south for the winter. It's why I ordered a 2016. Now I'll wait 2 years to see what happens with the new model.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
So they keep delaying the start of production. Makes it look awfully like there's a problem.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
I wonder exactly, how would a dealer in Phoenix get the "inside word" on something that would normally be confidential information, and if it is true, would be a closely guarded secret ?

I'm betting that it's a rumor, and unlikely to be correct, although time will tell.

A contact at DMax told me that it is not uncommon to have the occasional parts supply hiccup when a new model is launched, so that's a possibility.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Do the math yourself Frogman524. Here's a link to sales volume by manufacturer for January and February of 2016:
February 2016 YTD U.S. Vehicle Sales Rankings - Top 274 Best-Selling Vehicles In America - Every Vehicle Ranked - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

It's the usual pattern - sales of Silverado and Sierra are equal to or more than the F Series Fords. Dodge is third.

And here are sales to the end of July, same pattern:
July 2016 YTD U.S. Vehicle Sales Rankings - Top 288 Best-Selling Vehicles In America - Every Vehicle Ranked - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

Reactions: MaxRock

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
That's excellent information, thank you.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Wow, did a build on the GMC website, and there's significant sticker price shock. I took delivery of a factory ordered 2016 a couple of months ago after giving up the wait for the 2017s, and now I'm glad I did. The very same configuration as my two month old truck, but with the new engine, is more than $14,000 more expensive.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Comparing MSRPs on a really loaded, every extra, SLT GMC Sierra.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Good one Armus, but you know I love that stuff. I'm presently on my way south to Mexico hauling my 39ft fifth wheel and got 1094 kms between regens while towing. I've never had any issues with the emissions system on any of my post 2007 trucks.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
There are NO delays clearing customs. My truck was built in Flint and was put on the train to Vancouver, BC about 2 weeks later. I tracked it using the CP railcar tracker all the way across the USA and Canada, about 10 days. The "delay" at the border crossing in to Canada was maybe 2 hours - a routine clearing of a train full of cars coming into Canada under NAFTA agreement. The main delay is the time the truck spends in the holding yard at Flint, and then after it is unloaded at the nearest point to the dealership. My truck was another 10 days sitting in the trucker's yard before it was sent to the dealer.

21 - 39 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.