Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ SRW
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone stumbled across a reliable article, website, or link within GM that provides some real information about the 2017 Duramax. A number of the engines must have been built already, and there HAS to be an accidental leak of information somewhere.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
redwngr - I'm locked out on this one. Nobody will say a word - not even when the first public announcement will happen.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We've all heard those rumors, but hard data is what we need.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The DEF rumor is interesting but like NorCal2500HD I don't see how they could deal with the NOX if they don't use DEF. The only other traditional way is exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) which robs the engine of power and is only used a tiny amount on DEF based systems. Dodge only recently abandoned its EGR based system to go to DEF because they couldn't meet EPA requirements using only EGR and they were dropping behind on engine power.

One practical improvement that is out there for engineers to consider is electrically assisted regeneration cycles. Heating elements within the DPF bring it more quickly up to the soot flashpoint so that less fuel is used heating the exhaust system.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Eight cameras, if offered, will be an option, so nobody will have to take something they don't want, but I haul a big 5th wheel trailer and I would take the camera option.

I REALLY LIKE my backup camera on the big screen in my 2015 - as you back up there are lines on the screen to show the exact vehicle tracking so you can avoid objects low down.

I also REALLY LIKE the lane departure warnings that vibrate the left or right sides of my seat if I stray a little out of the center of the lane.

You don't know how useful these enhancements are until you try them.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Looks like Chinese hackers writing a story.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
If there's anyone out there going to the International Auto Show that starts for the public in Detroit today, could you please see if there's any info on the 2017s, especially the new engine. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
It's fascinating how this thread has morphed in to a discussion about mpg on Dodge RAM trucks. Is there a chance we can get it back on track??

Does ANYONE have a hint what is happening re the 2017s ?? When will they be announced, when will dealers get their order book info, when is the assembly plant going to be retooled, anything at all that would give a hint ??

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So Dmax Fan, your posting seems to be very detailed - any chance you can tell us where you got such detailed information because I'd like to follow up with the source. I want to find out when dealers will get their ordering package? Also if GM is first showing it in late September in Texas, how come they're starting to build in July? Are they going to store tens of thousands of them until after September?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Darn. I was preparing to order a 2017, but needed it delivered by late September because of travel plans, so it looks like everything will be delayed a year for me. Thanks for the comprehensive info.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
One more question, I'm probably missing something simple that I should already know, but what do the letters RC, DC, and CC mean ??

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
It is weird, and annoying, because I always order a CC.

Reactions: Dmax Fan

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I've now confirmed those delayed build dates with a contact in GM who previously wouldn't say a word - previously wouldn't even give me a hint when it was going to happen. But when I emailed my contact a copy of the dates I received a note back saying that yes, there is a delay in the release and expressing surprise that the dates are out in the public domain.

So then I called the dealership I've been working with and confronted the sales manager with the dates. He reluctantly admitted that he had the same information.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
It is my understanding from a contact in Duramax that the programming of the emissions system is being done by GM rather than using the Bosch programming that was used up to 2016.

The system itself will still have a DOC (Diesel Oxygen Catalyst), and an SCR/DPF (Selective Catalytic Reducer/Diesel Particulate Filter) so the trucks will still need DEF, if that's what you wanted to know.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
If we are talking about the same thing, the idea behind electrically assisted regenerations is to rapidly heat the DPF using an internal electric heater, probably 24 volts. There would still be a need to use injected fuel though to maintain the temperature once the electric heater had done its job and the soot reached flash point.

Clearly fuel has to be used to generate the power to run the electric heater but it is supposed to be more efficient because the DPF heats up more quickly so the net fuel usage is less.

Anyway, if the plan is to implement electrically assisted regenerations on the 2017s, nobody on my contact list is talking, so I don't have an answer.

Maybe someone with direct knowledge is willing to give us a clue. If not, we'll find out in September at the Texas State Fair.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I know we're still a few months away from dealers being able to order 2017s, but by now there must be some documentation/specifications available out there in GM offices, and the Duramax plant must be close to being retooled, or has been retooled, for the new engine.

Surely by now someone out there can throw us a few scraps of information. Please, please, please.

Reactions: DMaxDude

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Thanks for those pictures. Looks like the 2015/16 body style, plus the air scoop. Now if we could just get some engine information !!!!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Well, yes, we all know it won't be the LML. In fact, it's a whole new build. The Duramax had reached the limit in terms of safely squeezing the last bit of HP and torque out of it. But what have they done in terms of HP and torque for the 2017 release??

I'm not as pessimistic in terms of "a whole new bag of problems". I've had a 2007.5, 2008, 2011, 2013 and 2015 and never had any issues, even though the 2007.5, 2011, 2013 and 2015 all had significant changes to software or engine specs. The new engine will obviously have been designed to undergo several "upgrades" over the next few model years.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
A WHOLE LOT of people must know all about the new trucks by now because dealers will be able to order the 2017s in mid-August. Engines have been built, pre-production trucks are under test, brochures and specs have already been printed or are in design, official photos have been taken, there's probably a cutaway engine somewhere ready for an auto show, engine torque and power tests have been completed and the emissions information has probably been sent to the EPA. It's AMAZING that there aren't any leaks.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
OK, the CAMO IS OFF the 2017 test trucks according to folks at one of the GM test facilities, so more pictures should be circulating soon.

Has anyone got any?? Especially under the hood ???

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.