Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Suppose to debut @ The State Fair of Texas.

Denso fuel system, and Continental controller.

No more Bosch.

NO more Garrett Turbo, But new one is bigger...

Block and crank have changed slightly

Still an Allison Transmission, but with updates

Suppose to start being built in July

·
Registered
292 Posts
Picture of NEW BLOCK????

This is back from 2013 but...

Defiance Plant Makes 2017 DMax Beta Blocks
Defiance Plant 1 recently produced the first block castings for the next generation of Duramax engines. These iron block castings will be machined at the GM Powertrain Engineering Headquarters in Pontiac and be used for the 2017 MY Beta test engines. Many thanks to the Defiance folks that helped make these blocks in the core room, foundry and finishing as well as maintenance and the pattern shop. It is important that our plant be involved right from the start with the development of the next great Duramax engine.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/155276-2017-model-year-new-duramax-engine/

·
Registered
292 Posts
So Dmax Fan, your posting seems to be very detailed - any chance you can tell us where you got such detailed information because I'd like to follow up with the source. I want to find out when dealers will get their ordering package? Also if GM is first showing it in late September in Texas, how come they're starting to build in July? Are they going to store tens of thousands of them until after September?
When the trucks were suppose to debut in the spring, they were going to start building them in July. But they have backed it off. They are suppose to debut at the Texas State Fair.

GM truck build out schedule was updated February 5th ...

2016 Final Orders Due Date (Chevrolet/GMC/2500/3500/RC/DC/CC): TBD

2017 Initial Orders Acceptance (Chevrolet/GMC/2500/3500/RC/DC): 10/24/2016

2017 Initial Production Startup(Chevrolet/GMC/2500/3500/RC/DC): 09/12/2016

2017 Initial Orders Acceptance (Chevrolet/GMC/2500/3500/CC): 08/18/2016

2017 Initial Production Startup(Chevrolet/GMC/2500/3500/CC): 10/17/2016

·
Registered
292 Posts
so just an updated engine no frame or body changes?

YES suppose to have updated engine and Allison Transmission. Also suppose to have updated front ends. WILL HAVE NEW HOOD with the air holes in them

·
Registered
292 Posts
It is my understanding from a contact in Duramax that the programming of the emissions system is being done by GM rather than using the Bosch programming that was used up to 2016.

The system itself will still have a DOC (Diesel Oxygen Catalyst), and an SCR/DPF (Selective Catalytic Reducer/Diesel Particulate Filter) so the trucks will still need DEF, if that's what you wanted to know.
Are they going to the electronic DPF for regen's instead of dumping diesel into it? GM Patented it a few years ago

·
Registered
292 Posts
If we are talking about the same thing, the idea behind electrically assisted regenerations is to rapidly heat the DPF using an internal electric heater, probably 24 volts. There would still be a need to use injected fuel though to maintain the temperature once the electric heater had done its job and the soot reached flash point.

Clearly fuel has to be used to generate the power to run the electric heater but it is supposed to be more efficient because the DPF heats up more quickly so the net fuel usage is less.

Anyway, if the plan is to implement electrically assisted regenerations on the 2017s, nobody on my contact list is talking, so I don't have an answer.

Maybe someone with direct knowledge is willing to give us a clue. If not, we'll find out in September at the Texas State Fair.

Yes thats what I was talking about. Thanks Hopefully sooner then Texas State Fair but if not then we will find out in September :roll eyes:

Its like its to quiet. I understand its a Billion dollar business (Pick Ups Trucks) but this better be amazing for 2017 or we are in for a HUGE let down

·
Registered
292 Posts
They keep delaying it probley Texas state fair.

You would think with it being so quiet that they would be doing a total overhaul like for the next generation truck... in 2019/2020

kinda surprised they aren't adding gears to the allison like they have with semis

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes but seem like most of GM's Diesel's are no where to be found besides he 2.8L for the Colorado/Canyon. Where is the Cruze 1.6L? Suppose to be the 2.8L in the full size vans, where is it?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes it is TED

Yes I posted the build out schedule awhile ago

·
Registered
292 Posts
Trucks should start showing up In November on dealer lots

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.