Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ SRW
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone stumbled across a reliable article, website, or link within GM that provides some real information about the 2017 Duramax. A number of the engines must have been built already, and there HAS to be an accidental leak of information somewhere.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
We were hoping someone that has 'contacts' in engineering might point us to an 'accidental' leak.

(Same game as 'spy photos'?)

Hint, hint...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
redwngr - I'm locked out on this one. Nobody will say a word - not even when the first public announcement will happen.

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
I wonder if after the first of the year GM comes out with 2016.5 high output trucks?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hopefully they will forego all the self parking automated nonsense and get the emissions reliability issues dealt with.

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
redwngr - I'm locked out on this one. Nobody will say a word - not even when the first public announcement will happen.
I've been wondering if there might be info at the NAIAS (Detroit auto show) in Jan 16.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Not that I could bring myself to buy a Ford but Chevy better step up on the next truck. Did you see on the 2017 Fords like seven different cameras available including a remote one for your trailer and a camera wash, remote trailer tire pressure monitoring available also. The one I really like is the full roof sun roof. I'm waiting to hopefully hear something on the 2017 Gmc before I order a new one, just not sure I can hold out until 2017.

Reactions: MRC

·
Registered
295 Posts
With all of the test trucks seen last summer running around I'm willing to bet there will be either a mid-year 2016 or an early 2017 with the updated motor and front end. We have seen this soooo many times with GM, changes half way through the model year. Bottom line GM must make the updates sooner rather than later simply for marketing purposes if nothing else.

·
Registered
592 Posts
i heard a rumor that the 2017 Duramax is going to be 6.7L and @ 990lbs of torque

·
Registered
520 Posts
It just pisses you off when Gm is so quiet about it, again you ford has released almost all the info you want to read about their 2017 release except torque numbers. I don't care about torque but would like to see the def go away and a more aggressive exhaust brake. I guess the bottom line is just let your customers in on some info so we can make a decision on purchasing. Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Of course GM's going to keep mum about everything otherwise people that are on the fence about buying a new truck will hold off instead of purchasing one now, and then when the new ones come out they'll like it so much they'll trade the one they just purchased and get a new one. See how that works.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Those that decide to wait are offset by those that don't want the 'untested new version' so rush out and get the existing one before they are gone.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We've all heard those rumors, but hard data is what we need.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Not that I could bring myself to buy a Ford but Chevy better step up on the next truck. Did you see on the 2017 Fords like seven different cameras available including a remote one for your trailer and a camera wash, remote trailer tire pressure monitoring available also. The one I really like is the full roof sun roof. I'm waiting to hopefully hear something on the 2017 Gmc before I order a new one, just not sure I can hold out until 2017.
Is this really the kind of stuff consumers value in a truck these days?

·
Registered
701 Posts
We've all heard those rumors, but hard data is what we need.
Yep everything I have seen/heard is just rumors, nothing directly from the generals mouth. Some of the things I have heard...

1) Going away from Bosch fuel system in favor of Denso
2) New engine oil is being developed
3) 8-speed Allison
4) There was talk a while back about dual EGR which doesn't sound like a "good" thing.
5) Have also heard DEF might be going away but don't really see how or what would replace it to reduce NOx.
6) Displacement and HP/TQ numbers all over the place.
7) Have also heard new motor may get delayed to post 2017 model year

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The DEF rumor is interesting but like NorCal2500HD I don't see how they could deal with the NOX if they don't use DEF. The only other traditional way is exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) which robs the engine of power and is only used a tiny amount on DEF based systems. Dodge only recently abandoned its EGR based system to go to DEF because they couldn't meet EPA requirements using only EGR and they were dropping behind on engine power.

One practical improvement that is out there for engineers to consider is electrically assisted regeneration cycles. Heating elements within the DPF bring it more quickly up to the soot flashpoint so that less fuel is used heating the exhaust system.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts