Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
had truck since new, has 13000 on it now; noticed smoke during the regen today on a hard accel. never noticed smoke before. question is, while trucks are in regen, is a haze/smoke from the tail pipe during accel a normal condition? called dealer and they said ya it can be. no CEL or dash lights are on.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Do a search, very common. My truck will pour white smoke so thick I can’t see the cars behind me.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
yup,its normal,,saw it from my truck do it on the highway.freaked for a bit,then next time it happened,I'm like,,this has to be normal.:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
And when people behind you have to slam on the brakes because they suddenly can't see where they're driving anymore and get SO pissed about it that they follow you to your next stop to chew you out for "how ****ty your truck runs", and how "you're destroying the environment", just try to keep a straight face while attempting to explain to them that our government has determined that they were temporarily engulfed in an opaque cloud of god-knows-what because that makes it run cleaner...

Reactions: BanksLB7Duramax

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
LOL! Exactly! I can’t wait to be pulled over by an officer telling me that my emissions system has been tampered with and then proving to them that my truck is stock and operating as required by the EPA!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
And don't forget that burning this chemical that came from a non recyclable plastic bottled boxed in a carboard box!

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
This makes sense during a regen with the additional fuel added to burn off.
Deleted mine does the samething after mild city driving for a while then getting on a freeway and merging in.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
When the 9th injector was first added to inject fuel during regens, clouds of white smoke were the symptoms of a faulty injector. If the spray from the injector is uneven, with too many large fuel droplets, white smoke is produced. So, although a lot of folks are saying it is normal, I can't help wondering whether the 9th injectors are ageing and becoming problematic.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Mines done it since new. I’ve brought it up to several different techs and they all say it’s normal and I regularly see it on trucks both old and new on the street.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine only does under load, which can be as simple as maintaining speed on the highway when the incline changes a little. That said, it isn't linear based on load, it's more like a light switch. It either smokes a lot or not at all, with a crack of the throttle.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I agree, either a load or it does it under heavy throttle, which for me is always. If you can’t find the gas pedal you probably won’t see the white smoke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2015 Silverado 3500HD never smokes when in regen. I can hardly even tell when its in regen. I pull a 14,000 lb 5th wheel with it but it sees a lot of driving by itself without the trailer also.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If it doesn't smoke, how do you even know it's in regen? Unless you're watching the mpg drop for no good reason. My '15 gives me no indication at all. Only truck (other Chevy's included) I've ever driven that didn't have something pop up in the DIC to say that it's in regen.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Mine does not smoke during regen either.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
on the highway mine doesn't smoke. If it is doing a regen during in town driving with lots of stop and go, it will smoke on moderate acceleration after waiting for a red light.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Exactly. I’ve never seen it on the freeway.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
As already mentioned, in past years, smoke during regens was an indication that too much fuel, or a badly formed spray of fuel, was being injected during regens, particularly on models with the 9th injector. If my truck was smoking during regens, I would want to check whether the 9th injector was faulty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I dunno about spray pattern, but I can definitely believe there's too much, based on the hit my mpg numbers takes when it happens.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
According to a friend who worked on the original fuel programming team for the 9th injector trucks, the spray pattern from the nozzle is critical to proper burning of the injected fuel. There is a complex interaction between the DOC, the 9th injector, and the DPF, to ensure that oxygen released from the exhaust gasses by the DOC is properly utilized by the injected fuel to increase exhaust gas temperatures. If the 9th injector spray droplets are too large, or there is too much fuel being injected, white smoke will be produced due to incomplete combustion of the fuel. This will be most noticeable during periods of acceleration while a regen is underway, because even more fuel is injected during acceleration. So, if it was my truck smoking during regens, I would be suspicious that the system is not working correctly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts