Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Research seems to indicate my 2016 3500HD's Integrated brake controller will work with the new hydraulic disk brakes I just installed on my 5th wheel. However it seems I have to really turn up the gain for them to work.

Old Elec/Drum brakes gain set at 7 or manually operated worked fine.
New Elec/Hyd gain has to be set 8-8.5, manual won't work until gain is 9.5 or 10

Everything on 5th wheel checks out electrically and brakes work fine with controller gain higher. Everyone told me I would have to lower gain with new disk brakes, so any idea why I had to go higher? Or is it even an issue except for me being very "type A", LOL.

·
Premium Member
17,862 Posts
Manual is to be tried (tested) at 20mph, IIRC.

You just installed??? Are you certain the install is correct (bled fully, caliper brackets spaced correctly, etc..?

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well couple weeks ago, yes to all the usual bleeding etc, trailer all appears good. On the 1st road trip everything worked fine on truck & trailer just it takes the gain to be set higher than with the old drum brakes. And for the after hookup pull test the manual slide has no effect unless the controller is set at 9.5 or higher rolling forward or backwards.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
There are several people on the Arctic Fox website who have converted their trailers. Many of them had to bleed their brakes several times to get the desired braking action. But with sufficient bleeding, everyone was satisfied with the results. I say keep on bleeding. Magic will happen. (and check your bearing adjustment)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Research seems to indicate my 2016 3500HD's Integrated brake controller will work with the new hydraulic disk brakes I just installed on my 5th wheel. However it seems I have to really turn up the gain for them to work.

Old Elec/Drum brakes gain set at 7 or manually operated worked fine.
New Elec/Hyd gain has to be set 8-8.5, manual won't work until gain is 9.5 or 10

Everything on 5th wheel checks out electrically and brakes work fine with controller gain higher. Everyone told me I would have to lower gain with new disk brakes, so any idea why I had to go higher? Or is it even an issue except for me being very "type A", LOL.
What about the wire size used? You didn't mention what brand of Elec/Hyd controller you used. I used the Cargo Towing Systems(Carlisle) controller and they specified 10 ga. wire, specifically, the ground wire be 10 ga. no exceptions. I used 10 ga. wire for all 4 wires. My gain on my 2017 GMC works good at 6.5

Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts