1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Great find. Only problem is the part number on the document for the kit can't be found. :confuzeld

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
With the recent passing of my wife and my decision to sell our 5th wheel, I also intended to sell my truck. The problem is, however, after shopping around for everything from Volts to Vipers, and nearly everything in between, I have to say that I really don't want to get rid of the beast. Yes, without a trailer to pull, it makes no sense to keep it, but I just love driving it, plus I've had more positive comments and turned more heads than with all my other trucks combined - and that history goes back to 1973! :eek:

So WTF does that have to do with mirrors? :HiHi: I went to the dealer today to schedule an appointment for the steering hose and intake air heater inspection and asked them about changing out the old style mirrors with the new ones. My price for the mirrors was $550, and they quoted me a labor charge of $200. I couldn't resist. It goes in next week for the inspections and the mirror swap.

Now maybe I'll go looking at the light bars I've been thinking about...

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Well Tom, sounds like you've made up your mind to keep it. :clap: :thumb:

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
tom,sorry about your wife,,
but if you feel more confi in your truck ,just keep it for now and maybe trade it for a 2500 crew in a few years

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Tom,
Does this mean everything will work on the mirrors on an early 2015?

It appears that way, although it may depend on the trim level of the truck. Mine's an LTZ that already had adjustable/heated mirrors and seat memory function that was built in February of 2014. I guess I'll find out for sure next Thursday.

·
Registered
32 Posts
subscribed waiting to see how the mirrors workout on Tom's truck.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Well, crap. Dealer just called. Seems the part "kit" doesn't include the wiring harness adapter. Quoted me $130 per side extra. :eek: After some rather "spirited" discussion, we agreed on $100 and no additional labor. The problem now is the part is on back order. :mad: So, I'm picking up my truck with semi-functioning new mirrors.

Some days, you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue. Today is statue day.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tom i installed my mirrors and i have an early 2015 which means new door harness and the additional wiring harness ... so i just swapped door harness on both doors and tapped into led interior light wire to make ambers work indoors... for the rear projection lights i cut the wire in door jamb rubber boot and wired to a small switch under dash.. now i can turn them on whenever id like... these aren't plug and play on all trucks 2015i either.. send me pm whoever has questions thanks

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Here's an update and it's not pretty. Dealer mounted the mirrors and hooked them up. Power fold doesn't work, backup light doesn't work, and the amber light doesn't flash with the turn signal. On top of that, you have to use the left button to adjust the right mirror and the right button to adjust the left. "No problem," says the dealer, "we found out there's a wire harness that corrects this." OK, order it. It came in Monday and I took the truck in yesterday. Today, the dealer says the miracle harness won't work with my truck. According to them, GM, and the mirror supplier, early 2015 trucks ordered with the camper mirrors can not do the swap. The link mike3271 posted in post #1 lists the as built RPO's that the mirrors will work with, and the RPO for the camping mirrors for the early 2015's isn't among them. So, it looks like if I want things to work, at least some of them, I'll have start cutting and splicing. I can grasp the concept of what to cut and splice for the amber turn signals, though I'm not sure that's worth the time. I also think the back up would be pretty easily done. What I think I'm screwed on is the power folders.

If anyone has miracle cures for these problems, I'm all ears! Wire colors and locations are also appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
reply to Tom S.

Tom, my truck was built on 5/14 and had the camper mirrors.
The new mirrors I bought are not the power fold ones.
After the mirrors were installed, like you I drove the truck for 2 weeks waiting for the wiring harness to arrive. During this time my power seats and pedals did not work and the mirror controls were backwards.
After 4 days in the shop, they called and said it's done. The mirrors work per factory spec's . They fried the power seat module in the process, and had to replace it.
They also reprogrammed the memory module.
Here are the part numbers for the harness's they replaced that are on my invoice. I would question these are what they really replaced.
23387133 2480 harness PKG
23171564 16263 harness
23171567 harness
The reprogram was also required to make it all work.
My dealer said they have not installed the new mirrors on anyone's truck yet so they would use my truck as a test truck and not charge me for the harness or the install, it's a good thing because they tested my patience!:banghead:

also at one point they questioned that my CTS programmer was causing the problems. I quickly told them the CTS is NOT a programmer just a monitor. When it was all done, they admitted the CTS had nothing to do with it.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me what the RPO code for your stock mirrors was? It's on the sticker in the glove box, your window sticker, or the build sheet if you have them.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Tom, so sorry for your loss brother.
Also subscribing to follow this thread as I hope to add mirrors like these to my 05 at some point.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
It seems like if one were to put a series of 12 switches on the dash with 2 being momentary to press for TS function and the rest for the other functions it may work pretty well , perhaps on of the more "non electrically challenged members could fab up a universal kit for this swap. I just ordered the black covers for my 15 to replace the chrome and it was a project as the pass mirror has the temp sensor for the exhaust brake?? and if you have a exhaust brake and wanted to retrofit how will that go? Gheeeex I am glad I have all the doodads factory. Good Luck to all !!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have an early build 2015 slt3 package ... I hadto wire the led reverse light change door harnesss and tap into the interior led light... I ran separate switch for the rear led lights was very simple.. I'm a landscaper not a tech lol.. pm me id be glad to pass on the info

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
UPDATE: Yes, it's been a long time. Service manager had a boat load of excuses, but the dealer finally called me last week and said bring it in. To make a long story short, everything works, even the white LED's. Everything that is except the folding part. Still working on that aspect, but on my own.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tom S.
do your white LED's work when the trunk is in reverse?
mine only work when the truck is in park and the bed light switch is on. I am beginning to think mine were not programmed correctly.
I have read other threads that describe putting the truck in park then putting on the bed light, and then reverse, but that does not work.
The main reason I put these mirrors on was the bright LED's when backing up to the fifth wheel at night.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts