Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Truck: 2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax (LML), the ONLY change is the def system has been deleted (but it still has egr, stock exhaust, etc). It's my daily driver and we tow our camper during the warmer months. It's at about 105k miles.

I've been loosing coolant lately which is apparently a bad head gasket(s). One or both I don't know. The shop also found the coolant overflow tank was cracked (I assume it was over pressurized from the bad gasket). The heads are at a machine shop which said they tested ok (hold pressure, aren't cracked, etc) and no work is needed on them. They removed the cab to do the head work. Strange to see my baby with the cab 5 ft above the engine! The shop is going to delete (block off??) the egr. What else should I ask them to do "while they're in there"?

I've read that the head bolts are the culprit and others are say it's the gasket itself. Is the extra cost for ARP studs worth it ($400+ upcharge from stock bolts).

Here's what I was thinking (other than the normal head gasket stuff) ...
-change out to APR studs??
-egr block off (or whatever it's called)
-Serpentine belt (might as well)
-Check pulley's and idler pulley's for bad bearings

-fuel filter has less than 5k mile on it.
-All glow plugs were replaced last year so no need to do those

Luckily we have an aftermarket warranty which will cover a lot of the cost but we're low on funds ($) right now so I need to keep this as light as reasonably possible but I don't want to miss an opportunity.

Thanks,
John

·
Administrator
17,760 Posts
Definitely get the ARP Studs.
I would upgrade the gaskets from OEM. The OEM LML gaskets are cheaply made materials and likely to fail again..
I recommend you replace the thermostats, water pump w/ welded impeller.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you OkDually - The shop already planned on ARP studs, aftermarket head gasket (I think he said Mahle??), t-stats and I think water pump, not sure welded or not but he's looking into it. I guess the shop knows what they're doing!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts