Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013, Duramax. 86K miles. Never towed with, just a typical day to day driver. A couple of months ago started smelling radiator fluid after driving, (thought it was related to the water pump) noticed small drops of oily fluid on driveway. (front drivers side) Took to dealership, they indicated that head gasket is leaking, droplets were radiator fluid and oily soot combination. Dealership gave a price of almost 8K to RNR. Looking for second opinion or shop in SoCal (Orange County area) with good quality work. Thanks Brian

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Proformance Diesel is in Bakersfield, don’t know how far that is from you. Top notch work.

FWIW, bad head gaskets don’t usually leak externally, they just pressurize the cooling system, and push coolant out of the tank overflow on the passenger side. I’d definitely get a 2nd opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the lead, but Bakersfield is 100 plus miles north from me. For this kind repair and potential cost, for sure will need a second look.

·
Administrator
16,344 Posts
Thank you for the lead, but Bakersfield is 100 plus miles north from me. For this kind repair and potential cost, for sure will need a second look.
You could try Bud's Diesel:
15135 Jackson St
Midway City, CA 92655
714-902-1467

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have a close look at the radiator, there’s a couple spots on the bottom of the end tanks that like to rub on wiring harnesses, or the actual metal core can leak to, lots of times not much if any makes it to the floor, but rather it dries on in a crusty goo and mostly just get a coolant odor. An inspection mirror can help you peek through the fan blades.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts