Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2013 Chevy silverado 2500 hd with the Duramax. I am getting the the check engine light that my coolant temp is not getting up to temp. based on the info that I have found my thermostats is stuck. I am getting ready to replace the thermostats, but i can not find any info on how to burp/bleed the coolant lines. I do not see a bleeder screw as mentioned in other posts. can someone tell me how to bleed the air out of the coolant system once it is refilled?

·
Administrator
15,966 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
There is no bleed screw on the lml.
You would refill the system, start the truck and wait for it to get to operating temps, thermostats open.
Shut off then fill again, repeat till your coolant tank is to the full mark.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
There is a full description of adding coolant to the Dmax in the diesel supplement.

If no coolant is visible in the surge tank, add coolant as follows:

1. Remove the coolant surge tank pressure cap when the cooling system, including the coolant surge tank pressure cap and upper radiator hose, is no longer hot.

Turn the pressure cap slowly counterclockwise about one full turn. If a hiss is heard, wait for that to stop. A hiss means there is still some pressure left.

2. Keep turning the pressure cap slowly, and remove it.

3. Slowly fill the coolant surge tank.
Do not let the coolant level go above the seam in the tank until after the engine comes to operating temperature in Step 4.

4. With the coolant surge tank pressure cap off, start the engine and let it run until the engine coolant temperature gauge indicates approximately 90°C (195°F).

By this time, the coolant level inside the coolant surge tank may be lower. If the level is lower, slowly add more of the proper mixture to the coolant surge tank until it reaches the proper level.

On pickup models, slowly continue to add coolant so it goes into the non-pressurized
side (fender side) of the coolant surge tank until it reaches one-third of the capacity.

Fill the coolant surge tank to the following levels:
. At or above the MIN mark on the pickup.
. To the COLD FILL mark on the van.

5. Replace the pressure cap.

Be sure the pressure cap is hand-tight and fully seated.

6. Verify coolant level after the engine is shut off and the coolant is cold.

If necessary, repeat coolant fill procedure Steps 1–6.

If the coolant level is still low after having followed these steps twice,
have the coolant system checked by a certified technician at the dealer
for a possible leak.

Notice: If the pressure cap is not tightly installed, coolant loss and possible engine damage may occur. Be sure the cap is properly and tightly secured.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I was able to get it refilled and appears to be working ok. However, i did fill the non pressurized side of the recovery tank to 1/3 full as it mentioned, but as the truck was warming up it pushed water into the non presurized side and filled it to half full. When it finally warned up enough to suck the water in it only pulled from the pressurized side. is that normal. I assume it would suck from the non presurized side till it was empty an then suck from the pressurized side.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Easy way of doing it
- run the truck up to operating temp with the coolant cap off.
- Leave running and make sure you are getting heat in the cabin vents.
-if not, run till you do get heat, but watch and make sure the coolant stays at a good level in reservoir.
- after inside is blowing hot, temp is at operating temps and coolant is staying at the full mark...
-put cap back on reservoir and turn truck off.
- let it sit till everything cools down, overnight, next day, whatever. Doing it this way makes the system pull a vacuum on itself.
-after it has cooled down, next day....whatever....check coolant and top off. You should be good to go now! You can always check again after running it the next time, but you should be good at this point. Its worked for me hundreds of times!
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was able to get it refilled and appears to be working ok. However, i did fill the non pressurized side of the recovery tank to 1/3 full as it mentioned, but as the truck was warming up it pushed water into the non presurized side and filled it to half full. When it finally warned up enough to suck the water in it only pulled from the pressurized side. is that normal. I assume it would suck from the non presurized side till it was empty an then suck from the pressurized side.
Did you put the cap back on while it was hot, so that the cap was in place while it was cooling?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
DTC P0128?
The coolant surge tank is dividedinto two sides. The pressurized side(engine side) should be completelyfull, while the non-pressurized side(fender side) will be significantlylower, depending on the operating temperature.
Your Diesel Supplement has all the instructions how to fill.
Notice: This vehicle has a specific coolant fill procedure. Failure to follow this procedure could cause the engine to overheat and be severely damaged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts