Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do most of you change fuel filters on your diesel engines? The owner's manual calls for 22,500-mile fuel filter changes, the Chevy dealer recommended 10,000-mile filter changes. I've read a couple of articles and some guys are recommending waiting until the computer says to change the filter. My computer currently says the filter has 72% life left in it, and the filter has about 13,000 miles on it.

Please advise.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I change mine as per how much vacuum they are pulling. This way I know for sure when they are due for a change instead of going by mileage. There is a test port under the hood where you can put a gauge on to check for vacuum and pressure if you have a lift pump. I bought mine from Kennedy Diesel but you can find them at other places.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, this makes good sense. It seems like an exact indicator. Is the van computer taking the same reading for the driver information screen? According the that, there is a lot of mileage left on the filter. But since the fuel pump has a sketchy reputation I don't want to risk anything. The tool is a little pricey, but I'll look into that. How do I determine if my van has a lift pump? I've read articles indicating it does not, which seems crazy to me in a modern car. Do some Express vans have a lift pump? Mine is 2012, 3500.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Personally I would not trust the DIC because you could have other issues causing a problem and it would tell you to change the fuel filters when in fact it is something else. This way you will know for sure and it is quick/easy. It is a lil pricey but I consider it a great diagnostic tool that is simple to use. I carry mine in the van and have used it when I thought I might have an issue in the middle of no where. No Duramax vans came from the factory with a lift pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts