Diesel Place banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
just refill it every oil change. I really dont think its going to be as big a burden as everyone thinks it is going to be. ;)
I agree. Mercedes uses it I believe and any number of Heavy Truck engine manufacturers are using it or ar tooling up for it. Once the "Big Rigs" start using it, prices will drop accordingly.

If its good enough for Detroit Diesel and Cat, its good enough for me.

·
Registered
456 Posts
that goes to show you GM takes 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards.......why in the hell would they change the bolt pattern:confused::confused:

Need to go to a larger (studs further out) to handle the higher load better for durability.

·
Registered
456 Posts
just refill it every oil change. I really dont think its going to be as big a burden as everyone thinks it is going to be. ;)
Not a big deal as stated, just adds some extra cost and complexity to vehicle, most should only have to fill ever oil change. The bigger issue I fear is the cost to repair and more stuff to break down the road as the vehicle ages. Extra tank, pump, module, injector, pipes, exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
hate to tell you guys but no short beds with regular cabs period they changed there minds..go figure..and i read that on www.pick-up.com i believe.. and as far as hp ratings ive read on both sides there gona be around the 400 h.p. mark...needless to say chevrolet is falling behind more everyday. i really like what i read on the ford side of things..and there going to be 2500.00 cheaper than the 2010 across the board. im just trying to figure what color i want:D

·
Registered
428 Posts
hate to tell you guys but no short beds with regular cabs period they changed there minds..go figure..and i read that on www.pick-up.com i believe.. and as far as hp ratings ive read on both sides there gona be around the 400 h.p. mark...needless to say chevrolet is falling behind more everyday. i really like what i read on the ford side of things..and there going to be 2500.00 cheaper than the 2010 across the board. im just trying to figure what color i want:D

You're kidding right?? The GM trucks have been the benchmark that Ford and Dodge are trying to live up to. Now with GM raising the standard further with payload, towing, power, and economy I don't see Chevy is falling behind.

Go buy a Ford, you'll probably get to develop a nice relationship with the service department.

·
Registered
914 Posts
What an ill thought out post. 2500 has higher towing and payload to F250, 3500 has higher towing and payload than F350 while the class-leading allison has been further beefed up.

And you think GM's fell "further behind"? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
yeah im kiddn but man i wish we could get a s/a and a nice truck interior package

·
Registered
352 Posts
Can you get a standard with this new rig............prob not???? :( oh well, just have to hang on to what i got.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'll be amazed if GM EVER offers a manual tranny option again on a diesel truck.
I don't even think you can get a base model gasser 2WD with a manual tranny anymore. There just isn't enough demand. I'd be one of the few that would love one.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
11,313 Posts
what's the new pattern ?? I see we still have S-10 size tie rods

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Can you get a standard with this new rig............prob not???? :( oh well, just have to hang on to what i got.
I'll be amazed if GM EVER offers a manual tranny option again on a diesel truck.
I don't even think you can get a base model gasser 2WD with a manual tranny anymore. There just isn't enough demand. I'd be one of the few that would love one.
Just and FYI but Ford will no longer be offering a manual tranny after 2010 either.

I'm sure someone can correct or confirm this for me but a co worker and I were talking about how manuals are becoming a thing of the past as it seems and he brought up how much the towing rating drops when going with a manual compared to an auto. Now he is a Ford guy and showed me the numbers straight out of a F series brochure so it might be different for GM but it's still something to think about.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just and FYI but Ford will no longer be offering a manual tranny after 2010 either.

I'm sure someone can correct or confirm this for me but a co worker and I were talking about how manuals are becoming a thing of the past as it seems and he brought up how much the towing rating drops when going with a manual compared to an auto. Now he is a Ford guy and showed me the numbers straight out of a F series brochure so it might be different for GM but it's still something to think about.
It's true.
Several years ago when GM still offered a manual tranny option, they used a detuned Dmax with lower output than the auto option.

This is actually a chicken and egg phenomenon in my mind.
Its actually a lot easier to design and build a heavy duty manual tranny; however, since there was almost zero demand for them all the R&D money went into automatic tranny development.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Ok so I got tired of looking and searching.....is their any word yet on the hp and tq ratings yet? Why is this so top secret? Maybe I havent been looking hard enough but I sure cant find anything!

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Ok so I got tired of looking and searching.....is their any word yet on the hp and tq ratings yet? Why is this so top secret? Maybe I havent been looking hard enough but I sure cant find anything!
power numbers have not been released yet. GM is in a little standoff with Ford to see who will release power ratings of their new engine first...

ben

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Anyone else think it would be funny if the numbers were the same between the to motors?

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Ones waiting for the other to release theirs so they can tweek the ECM for 5hp/30ft lb more.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
GM shouldn't ever release power numbers. What difference does it make? Take your truck to the dyno and list your individual power numbers lol. GM should just advertise, "more HP and TQ than Ford" and just leave it at that or "whatever the competition has, we have more" lol.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Nothing like waiting til the absolute last minute. You would think even if they did bump the numbers up that would be a real pain in the azz for making up brochures, owners manuals, etc. May as well get it over with and tweak it the following year if need be.

·
Registered
914 Posts
It is dumb on both the parts of Ford and GM. Kind of insulting they think we'll buy one or the other if one has 5bhp more. Some people do, but they're people who don't work their trucks. I don't care personally, so long as peak tq is still made at 1600rpm and held through good range which I'm sure it will be.

Ah, who am I kidding, horsepower beginning with a 4 and torque beginning with a 7 would be very welcome :D

41 - 60 of 75 Posts