Diesel Place banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
The kodiak is a van body with a different nose. I have a F450 4x4 front axle and a C4500 I wonder how much effort it woul take to convert to 4 wheel drive. I have thought buying a wrecked truck to move everything over from.

I am guessing that the 33 MPG was a joke. I haven't checked my MPG but I know it has to be under 20.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Maybe it was because of the low body weight and sweet spot of speed transmission ratio.
I did get 33 MPG while cruising at 65 on the highway long drive.
Haven't driven it in a while as it is in a body shop.
Had four surgeries and been off work for a while so not I haven't much progress.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maybe a Duramax in a dune buggy with hurricane winds at your back.

Maybe the fuel pump malfunctioned and gave you more fuel then you paid for. It is hard to explain nearly double the expected mileage.

I have a hard time believing those that say 23 Drive even remotely normal but 33...

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Maybe the fuel pump malfunctioned and gave you more fuel then you paid for. It is hard to explain nearly double the expected mileage.

I have a hard time believing those that say 23 Drive even remotely normal but 33...
It is rare I drop below 20 and a high of 28 has happened maybe a dozen times. It is very possible he hit 33 at a light cruise and it only had a cab with no body on back.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,153 Posts

If I could keep speeds at 65mph on the highway and only did highway miles, I bet my 16 van would get 23 or 24 no problem. I don’t see 33 ever happening though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
So you missed the part that it was a cab chassis with no body just the cab, and not even the back of the cab.
When I added the truck bed and hauled a 14 foot Pratt and Whitney lathe it drove differently.
Maybe someone here could explain why this would make a difference.
I say this with all friendship and humility. But seriously, quite calling me a liar.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dually van is wild looking...!...:thumb:

Shoot... I'm lucky if I get 400 miles to the tank with the ambulance top...

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
So you missed the part that it was a cab chassis with no body just the cab, and not even the back of the cab.
When I added the truck bed and hauled a 14 foot Pratt and Whitney lathe it drove differently.
Maybe someone here could explain why this would make a difference.
I say this with all friendship and humility. But seriously, quite calling me a liar.
I was talking about my van doing it

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Wheelchair? What happened???

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Reconstructive surgeries on my ankles to replace some ligaments I lost in army.
Two surgeries turned into four, life slowed down to a crawl for a while.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
:saluteusa:Hope you are recovering, and thank you for your service and sacrifice!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Some windows installed:
Swapped some spare doors around:
Added some interior back, did a lot of sanding.
Pulled out my F550 Axle and parts, and started sorting what hubs are going on there.
Measured my Cab to Axle distance and see that i want 38 inches extra... hmm ill sort that later.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Somehow I missed this thread and did not see the last 2 years of progress. I am very happy to see the updates. It's so cool that you obtained the ultra rare 8-door van body to use. Actually I now own 3 retired 159" 4500 ambulance chassis I was able to purchase cheap from a local EMS and they have a few more. One is a 2012 and two are late 2009 LMM+6L90 just like yours. They will be parked here for a year or two while I figure out what to use them for. In the past I have repurposed a few of those chassis with a Knapheide KUV Utility body and sold.
Using a Silverado dually bed would be cool but that amazing 57 gallon tank won't allow it I think, it is making the frame too long.

1) If you are going to do the 5th wheel hitch, the trailer will be pushing past the rear axle. Is that a concern?
2) Are you going to install the 33-gal midship cutaway van fuel tank, to bump the fuel capacity to 90 gallons?
3) Where will the aux frame battery go now that there are left side doors?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Artem,
You didn't miss last two years, I did. I went through: one cargo body quarter way mounted before i got a passenger long body, so restarted.
Then got that one halfway mounted and then found the double Side Doors Opt 26 Body, took a long hard decision to start over, cut it all up and restarted.
So now i have welded A pillars and under drivers doors and welded up the wheel wells of the short body and welded Kodiak cab back but overall better finish and nice seamless roof.
But slow momentum on triple start.

Answer to your questions
1. Frame should be shortened to just past the last cross-member (plan at least) after wheel base adjust. as it was the tank just barely tucked under the bed (if i remember at all) So a decent Bumper should protect/cover it.
2. I was just looking at the up-fitter G/H manual at the dual tank setup Page 77. I should pick one up and do that. 90 is more.
3. SHH, i have been running solo on the battery since they dis-mounted the ambulance body. I am looking at mounting a second under the hood. But haven't had issues yet.

Vehicle Donor Counter thus far Mounted:
1 Red Cab Chassis 4500
2 Silver Double Barn Door Cargo Short Wheel Base
3 White Passenger Extended for Interior and Wheel well Fill Pieces
4 White Kodiak Cab Back

In the Garage:
1 F550 Widetrack Super 60
2 NP273 + Dodge 29 spline input + 6L90 29 spline output and 4x tailhousing
3 Nice 550# Coilovers
4 SKF Unit Bearings Awaiting Redrill

Know that i need
1 Rod ends for Radius Arms