Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in one transaction I now have a dually, an Express, a Duramax, a six speed, and a 4500.
The insurance company took some convincing on the VIN.
The DMV took more than a few trips.

Hard to find aftermarket support for the ECU as it isnt a truck, isnt a van, isnt a kodiak.
Banks would not return my communications. Too bad since i live 20 minutes from them.
Called PPE and they told me "try it?" so i bought an xcellerator.

It does have quit the pickup and at 65 Mph gets 33MPG unloaded
23 average city /highway, so with a 60 gallon tank I figure i can drive to canadia from Los Angeles.

So anyone else have a cab and chassis? what issues do you see? what have you done with it?

I will be adding a np271 and four wheel drive as i believe as Orwell: 'four wheels good, two wheels bad.'

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
For tuning go with EFILive from one of the reputable tuners. Kennedy Diesel, PPEI, Ridge Runner Diesel, ATP, .....etc

·
Premium Member
17,903 Posts
What do you think this is? 1984? And, how ever in the world can you be getting 23, let alone 33, mpg?

BTW, What's the 8th digit in your VIN number? 6?

OH, and :welcome:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will get a cohesive paint job after some body work / double cab.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1GB9G5B69A-------
MODEL G33803

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
is that a pickup bed on it? got any side pics?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2006 long bed.
It had 14' of frame showing when i picked it up, so i have some room still in between.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That is some crazy mileage, probably the best I have ever seen. Did you check that by hand?

Interested to see what you have planned for this.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
33mpg's???????????????????????

these eng/trk's get about 18-21 mpgs,you need to make sure your speedo is correct and then you need to top off the fuel tank and drive 400-500 miles[after writing down the miles on the odm] and re-fill [top off =fuel in filler neck]

then get back to us and tell us the real mpg's

your tuner is throwing everything off

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speed is pretty close to GPS.
Haven't put any fuel or tune yet. 60 gallon tank will take a while for me to need any as it came with 3/4 tank.
So no hand calc.
In regards to the these trucks comment: Not a typical vehicle? 1. I know the allison has more parasitic loss. 2. The 6l90, if you drive lightly, is always in the rpm range. 3. pretty light weight at 6k.
Could all be wrong. i dont really care. It is a Sep 2009 Lmm 6l90. 3.73 11.5AAM rear 14200 GVWR. I got it to take camping, long trips. So mileage is a pleasant bonus but i didnt buy it because of prius envy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gets better mileage than my international did.

Attachments

Reactions: 6.5 NOVA

·
Registered
286 Posts
Mmm an ambulance! LMM+6L90 is the rarest and the best!

What you need for that gap is called "cab back" - Cab Backs & PRICING

Don't waste money polishing those hazy headlights - replace them with new, only $88 for two on eBay.

33mpg on a dually - I will not believe it, unless you were going downhill... my 2013 van empty did 22mpg at best if I was easy on the pedal.

What about insurance?.. I own a 2011 G4500 bus, and I cannot get insurance on it...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I will be adding a np271 and four wheel drive as i believe as Orwell: 'four wheels good, two wheels bad.'
I have a Quigley Express van in my park, and I'm in Oceanside - I can tell you it's pretty complicated set up with multiple custom fabricated crossbars welded to the frame. If you want you can come check it out, make drawings, take measurements.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Driving past a local car dealer i saw a kodiak cab back section. stopped by to talk to the guy who had built a quad cab 4x kodiak monster and was now working on something more family friendly -> a 4x kodiak van.
he sold me the cab section for scrap and gave me some contacts.

found a guy lives near me that runs a business called 'the express guy'
so i bought a center third of an express van in white. ill add the windows after it is welded together proper.

the peices are coming together. my goal is to have three rows of seating, an 8 foot bed, and 4x. my neighbours all love it. (who knows what they say after im gone inside?)

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The quigly sounds like it would be interesting. but if i have to fabricate and adapt, then i may as well do that to standard truck spec. instead of hard to replicate. if i do end up down there i will ask.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
insured as a 'chevy van/truck' through usaa.
they asked initial value, vin and veh. weight.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thread killed by the term 'Van/truck'
Smog free california diesel... And it is back.
Art, i would like to see that quigly at some point if just for inspiration...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yes sure... I still have both. Send me a PM!
To have a long bed with 3 rows of seats, you'd need a longer wheelbase, no?

I like the blue van. Was it owned by Supershuttle?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Blue van is owned by a local shop owner. it is a 15 passenger on a kodiak frame.

Alas mine is a 159" (100 CA) currently... that will need to change a little.
Trying to figure out how much space fomfortably to add to my cab. 3' per row seems shortish, but leaves 8 foot frame for bed, though wheel in the wrong place.
adding 76" seems to be about right for interior size. ill get the cab right before i mess with the bed.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts