Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have rust spots forming around each wheel well. It appears to be the spot welds and is rusting from the inside out. Was very surprised to see this as the truck hasn't seen much salt. Anybody else having this problem?

Did you have it fixed? Seems it would be hard to fix as it is coming from the inside.

Anybody know what a good replacement bed might cost?

·
Administrator
15,966 Posts
What part of the country do you live in?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Once it starts rust in between pinch welds you’re toast, cut out and repair or full panel repair is only option...anything else would be a bandage only.

It’s not a cheap proposition, might be better to find a rust free bed somewhere same color.

I’d do a full inspection and see if the bed is the only rotted out part.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once it starts rust in between pinch welds you’re toast, cut out and repair or full panel repair is only option...anything else would be a bandage only.

It’s not a cheap proposition, might be better to find a rust free bed somewhere same color.

I’d do a full inspection and see if the bed is the only rotted out part.
Not a spec of rust anywhere else. I has the wheel house liners in it, I wonder if maybe they wasn't such a good idea and trap some moisture in that area. I'm also inclined to just not worry about it. I bought it to use as a truck and what is a little rust on a truck. But you know, when it is new to you, you want it nice.

·
Premium Member
17,862 Posts
The dummies who designed the steel wheel well designed it so that rocks find there way in, and expansion/ contraction cause them to dig in and penetrate the corrosion protection.
Wheelhouse liners don't really change or affect that area.
You have to take a mirror on a stick and a flashlight to see where the debris and rocks are.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I thought it was an issue of lack of paint on the backside. My 2010 was bad 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
17,862 Posts
Nope. Rocks ricochet and land up there. Between thermal expansion, flexing, and vibration, they become wedged in there.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heymccall, have you seen one with rust spots just around the opening. I will try and get some pictures today, but there is simply a series of spots about the size of the head of a sharpie coming through from the back side on both wheel well openings.

·
Vendor
9,675 Posts
Take out the tail lights and you'll see what is going on in there. It's too late now, you'll probably need to replace the bed sides. Patching just delays the inevitable. They really need to be rustproofed properly when new.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Wisconsin is the worst state I have experienced for over use of winter road treatments.

·
Vendor
9,675 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
That era/ body style gm truck is the worst for rusting out the wheel wells. My father has a 2008 Denali, never off road. 150 k jobsite checking miles and the bed is a rust bucket. He also has 2 2005 work trucks that have never been washed and no rust! I make apoint to look at the 08 body style in parking lots,and 80% are bubbling around the wheelwells. I wonder how many people went to other brands because of this? Not everyone is a GM fanboy like my family.

Reactions: lmm2tow

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That era/ body style gm truck is the worst for rusting out the wheel wells. My father has a 2008 Denali, never off road. 150 k jobsite checking miles and the bed is a rust bucket. He also has 2 2005 work trucks that have never been washed and no rust! I make apoint to look at the 08 body style in parking lots,and 80% are bubbling around the wheelwells. I wonder how many people went to other brands because of this? Not everyone is a GM fanboy like my family.
Yeah, that's a shame. It kills me that the cab is rust free. Just the bed at the pinch welds.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I jinxed myself, I just noticed on my lly that the paint is bubbling on top of the fender flare! This truck looks great for a16 year old truck,I still get complimented on it. Have to decide whether to fix it or let nature take its course.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I jinxed myself, I just noticed on my lly that the paint is bubbling on top of the fender flare! This truck looks great for a16 year old truck,I still get complimented on it. Have to decide whether to fix it or let nature take its course.
I'm waiting for that idiot to rear end me and pay for a new bed:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts