Diesel Place banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased 2008 2500 hd lmm from used cad dealership, after about the third day of driving I heard a rattle coming from underneath the truck & crawled under to find where it was coming from seems like a snapped off dpf sensor line, how bad is it to run the truck with it disconnected? Also this part is discontinued any steps I should take to go forward? Thanks.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Wood Fender

Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Metal

· Registered
57 Posts
That will probably be a royal ***** to get out of the dpf, but at least you don’t have to worry about breaking it since it’s already broken 🤷🏻‍♂️
That is a tube that goes to what I think is the differential pressure sensor, that kind of measures how plugged up the dpf is. It will probably not regen properly with that broken. Not certain on all that though, I’m not a great expert on LMM stuff.
Check with Hicksville Auto Recyclers to see if they have any parts to help you, they dismantle Duramax trucks

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That will probably be a royal * to get out of the dpf, but at least you don’t have to worry about breaking it since it’s already broken 🤷🏻‍♂️
That is a tube that goes to what I think is the differential pressure sensor, that kind of measures how plugged up the dpf is. It will probably not regen properly with that broken. Not certain on all that though, I’m not a great expert on LMM stuff.
Check with Hicksville Auto Recyclers to see if they have any parts to help you, they dismantle Duramax trucks
Appreciate it, is the dpf beneficial? Or should I delete?

· Administrator
26,950 Posts
Appreciate it, is the dpf beneficial? Or should I delete?
In the US, the DPF is a must-have nowadays because of the Emissions laws from the Fed Government.
If you delete it you will need a tune to reprogram the ECM and the majority of tuners will not touch a deleted truck due to those government laws.

It's best to repair/replace any emissions system equipment

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the US, the DPF is a must-have nowadays because of the Emissions laws from the Fed Government.
If you delete it you will need a tune to reprogram the ECM and the majority of tuners will not touch a deleted truck due to those government laws.

It's best to repair/replace any emissions system equipment
Unfortunately deletes are a bad thing according to the government…
why do I see so many people doing it to their trucks?

· Administrator
26,950 Posts
why do I see so many people doing it to their trucks?
Prior to the current Federal/Government Administration, you could tune and delete your vehicle without much issue.

Now, the Federal/State Governments monitor internet forums like this one and go after people who alter the emissions systems in vehicles.
Businesses have been shut down and/or majorly fined into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
The EPA regularly posts enforcement actions on their website to show who is getting busted.

One such example: Diesel Ram Owner Crushes Truck After State Orders Deleted Emissions Fix

· Administrator
26,950 Posts
Also the part I need is discontinued, so I’d have to buy my own tubing and put a union to fix it?
You could browse salvage yards for a cheap fix, look on the car-part.com website, or fabricate the part yourself as you mentioned

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Prior to the current Federal/Government Administration, you could tune and delete your vehicle without much issue.

Now, the Federal/State Governments monitor internet forums like this one and go after people who alter the emissions systems in vehicles.
Businesses have been shut down and/or majorly fined into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
The EPA regularly posts enforcement actions on their website to show who is getting busted.

One such example: Diesel Ram Owner Crushes Truck After State Orders Deleted Emissions Fix
Wow that’s crazy

· Registered
22 Posts
That is yes the DPF differential pipe. Without it it will not regen for certain and in that first year DPF filter they don't do well with heavy soot mass. That DPF differential pipe should be available from GM I replace them all the time, it comes with both front and rear line as well as the rubber hoses and dpf sensor. Soak the crap put of the nuts at the dpf with a good penetrator, if the threads kinda strip they do make a thread repair tool specifically for nox and dpf sensor ports.

· Registered
22 Posts
I called in to dealer and sure enough pipes are discontinued no dealer in US has them, crazy I just used one maybe 1-2 months ago. As far as deletes I see them on a daily occurrence even on the brand new 22 model L5P not sure how or where they are being done but they are. Banks I believe makes a kit that deletes it all but never have installed one.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called in to dealer and sure enough pipes are discontinued no dealer in US has them, crazy I just used one maybe 1-2 months ago. As far as deletes I see them on a daily occurrence even on the brand new 22 model L5P not sure how or where they are being done but they are. Banks I believe makes a kit that deletes it all but never have installed one.
Yep, managed to get the bung out by letting it soak in wd/40 after running the truck so it’s warm then busted it loose with an impact. It’s 5/16 line so I got a brand new 5/16 bit & was able to drill out the snapped off tubing out of the fitting with relative ease (used CRC cutting oil). Used a pipe cutter & cut of the snapped end flush, from the looks of it I should have enough line to be able to slide the fitting on then re-flare the end of the tubing & put it right back in place without adding any 5/16 line extension with a union.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice glad you got it all fixed up.
Almost fixed😕 the flaring tool keeps slipping off the line due to it being stainless, super hard to bend and the tool won’t grasp correctly. I went digging on the internet even though coming up empty handed all last week looking for this part! I may be the luckiest man alive I was able to find 1! Literally 1! In stock at rock auto, it is on the way to me now
Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device Terrestrial plant

· Registered
98 Posts
Mine broke in the exact same spot and as a quick fix that’s now been on for a few years I cut a piece of flared brake line and used a compression fitting. I dint think is was gonna work but it’s been on there for a long time now. Cost of a few bucks so if it goes again I’ll probably do the same thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts