Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LMM w/ ITBC and trying to get our 24' stock trailer w/ Dexter electric over hydraulic brakes to work. We're getting a "Check trailer wiring" error on the dash that comes/goes in a rhythm almost while sitting in the shop. I've done some reading and see there are adapters for other brand EOH actuators but that Dexter's are SOL. I've also read of someone wiring brake magnets inline to provide enough resistance to activate the controller.

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,906 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Does that for sure work with the Dexter? As for the headlamp, are we talking an old T3, or a newer halo bulb, wired inline? That etrailer adapter shows tieing into the blue and white wires, so I assume you'd do the same with a headlamp or brake magnet?

I tried a small clearance light, but didnt wire it like the etrailer device; I tied into the blue and grounded it, and of course the light was on constsntly and we still go the check trailer wiring message. Then I dawned on me where my error was and i removed it.

·
Premium Member
17,906 Posts
For testing that vintage, I use a low beam headlamp bulb, as the resistance of a marker lamp isn't high enough.
And, if you read the reviews on the link I posted, others have used it successfully on the Dexter. The Q&A says no, but, if you scour this site and the web, others agree that it will work.
Screenshot_20200710-132901_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As always, great info, and thank you.

So, with the headlamp bulb, I assume 1 wire to blue (brake) and other wire to white (ground)? On my marker lamp screw up I went to blue wire then grounded housing and marker light itself stayed on all the time. Is a marker light anywhere close to the correct resistance, ie, would 2 work?

·
Premium Member
17,906 Posts
I only ever used a halogen h4656 or a 9006. Haven't tried anything else. I do know that the itbc needs to see between 2.5ohm and 1.0ohm between blue and ground (white) to operate. Unless the frame is electrically grounded to the white wire, I wouldn't use blue & frame, but rather blue & white.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the etrailer T4846000 adapter installed...

With foot off the brake, "Trailer connected" message will display, then it says "check trailer wiring", then back to "Trailer connected" and so forth, all while the EOH brake controller is pulsing.

With foot on the brake, "Trailer connected" message stays lit and brakes work.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wired up a 9005 bulb, exact same thing happens as with etrailer piece.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might as well go for 3 posts in a row...

It now pulses with the normal wiring (without adapter or 9005 bulb), and my son swears that when he used to pull it with this truck that the lights would all work but the ITBC acted like there wasnt a trailer connected at all; so he could pull it without brakes and without the on/off message on the dash.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: hooked the trailer up to a 2012 Chevy and it now sees the trailer; we had used this truck before and it didnt work, so the adapter did the trick.

Now to figure out the issue with our ITBC...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts