Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 2500HD (Duramax) with factory TPMS. One of the sensors is dead. I believe I have the tools to break the bead of the tire on the outside and could gain access to the stem. Assuming I could purchase the correct stem and sensor, can I teach the truck the coding for the new sensor? I do not have any sort of scan tool, but I am quite familiar with rotating the tires and re-teaching the tire locations. But does that method work for teaching a new sensor?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Reactions: diesail

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Each sensor has its own unique ID number. If a new sensor is fitted, the body control module must be reprogrammed with its unique ID and its position on the vehicle.

Servicing GM Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems
Yes, it is the same method for teaching it the new sensors.
I know asking this makes me seem somewhat slow, however:
So I can teach the unique ID number of a new sensor using the "let the air out of the tire until you hear a beep" procedure?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Try it and see what happens. Let us all know if reprogramming (like by a device) is needed.

·
Premium Member
17,906 Posts
That procedure works up until 2012 or so. Newer than that requires a tool.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the help. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used a Bead Buster (BeadBuster XB-455 | BeadBuster Wholesale Bead Breaker) that I bought to break the bead on motorcycle tires. I was surprised that the bead on my 16" truck tires was much easier to break than motorcycle tires. I just broke the outside bead, and used large "C" clamps to press the sidewall down enough to give easy access to the stem and TPMS. The first replacement TPMS I bought (part # 13586335) was not recognized by the truck using the "let the air out until the horn beeps" procedure. Although I used the proper procedure and let LOTS of air out, this TPMS would not be seen by the truck system. I believe that this part number has been replaced by Part #13598771. I reasoned that the first sensor I bought might be old stock and had a bad battery. The second sensor I bought (the Part #13598771) was recognized by the truck without issue while using the "let the air out until the horn beeps" procedure. Both of the sensors I bought came from Amazon, and each cost less than $20. A set of 4 is even cheaper each.

Since I had broken only the outside bead, airing up the tire and setting the outside bead was reasonably easy even using my small pancake compressor. I stood on the rim, which pressed the rim slightly into the bead of tire, and it popped out fairly easily.

End of saga.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts