Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, 2007 LBZ Regular cab, low on R134a, and the high side dust Cap is OFF, dust and mud filled high side port.

Do these systems lose charge over time, or is there a leak that needs to be found? Common leak areas? Best way to check for leaks, such as start with the Vacuum and see the Vacuum drop after 30 min? Nitrogen charge? Thanks all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Condensor is the most common area for leaks due to damage.
There is an 08' manual in .pdf format at the top of this section you can download to help guide you.

(y)
thank you,

the high side test port dust cap was left off, and was allowed to fill with debris to the top of the port. The previous owner was terminally ill, and has passed, but hav these ball valve quick disconnect ports been known to leak as well? The tech I am going to visit in the city 2 hours away, says since it was left open we need to change it so I have it plus a dust cap on order from Rock Auto, I watched a video on the same thing, high side port leaking, that fella changed the whole line thinking the port was not serviceable, there is a replacement that is GM OE, I am going with that out of necessity. Thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Schrader valve can leak. The tech can test it and replace the insert if needed
I was thinking the same, so in the order from Rockauto a genuine GM low side Schraeder Valve (They call it "The Core", as well as the High Side Test Port Ball Valve. It is a decent place to start, I will keep everyone in the know once I get it to him.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Schrader valve can leak. The tech can test it and replace the insert if needed
Going in next week to get her leak tested. Question is, if it holds vacuum, is that an indicator that the system is tight? Or can it still be leaking and hold a 1/2 hour vacuum after disconnection?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it holds a vacuum the system is good
I still have a 1983 Lincoln Town car, and used a reman compressor in 1996 since new then was astronomical, it held vacuum and passed sniff leak detector tests, and guess what, after sitting a winter, all out of gas, the front shaft seal of the compressor was leaking ever so slowly

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.