Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2006 Express 3500 Duramax w/ LLY and 161k miles. At least that's what the VIN says. It has a Bosch ECM. I'm not sure what the hardware differences are between an LBZ and LLY other than the 57 vs 58 tooth trigger wheels.

I also have a 2005 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI with OM648 3.2 inline six diesel and a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Mercedes-Benz OM642 3.0 V6 diesel. Both of these vehicles have ~215k miles.

I just discovered that the Benz has "black death" carbon deposits on one cylinder from a failed injector seal. On the Benz engines, the injector seals are ~100,000 mile maintenance items, apparently.

What's the Duramax relationship to injector seals? I've never removed the engine cover in the van. Do I need to prioritize getting the engine cover off to check for black death?

EDIT:
Photo of Mercedes Black Death:

·
Registered
06 Savana 3500 LWB
21 Posts
If your van is a 2006, it's an LBZ. The LLYs are 100% identical in the vans/there's no difference between the two. As far as watching for injector seals leaking... it's not a known issue/there's many other signs that you have an injector issue... balance rates/smoke/etc. It's not a bad idea to take a gander around your engine bay semi-regularly nonetheless/check for anything that may need attention/familiarize yourself with it in the event you do have an issue. But no, as far as I'm aware LBZs aren't know for injector seals leaking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts