Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on my '06 cutaway van with a 14' box body, converted to an RV/toy hauler, affectionately called the cube. I drove it from New Jersey to Virginia, about 280 miles on Thursday. Ran perfect, no issues. Started it up Friday morning, again with no issues, and let it idle for 10 or so minutes. Drove to the end of the driveway, pulled out onto the road, smooth acceleration to about 20 mph then it was like somebody turned the key off. Drifted to the side of the road and started trouble shooting. It was showing a little over 1/4 tank, about right for the distance driven but I put another 10 gallons in it anyway. I replaced the fuel filter and performed the priming sequence several times. With cranking it started twice, both times it would idle for just a second or 2 then die again. It did throw a P2610 code so I unplugged the ECM and did that reset procedure.

Talking with a diesel head buddy of mine he suggested it might be the Pressure Regulator Valve. He opined that if it stuck open it could be sending all, or most, of the fuel back to the tank instead of to the injectors.

I haven't started to tear into it just yet so a good starting direction would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Was there any other codes ?
Have you done any work on it like with wiring or anything lately ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The other codes it threw where all related to the EGR removal I performed last winter. In fact I have a EFI Live ready to be installed that will take care of those codes and the over boost code I keep getting since the removal. The only other work I've done lately was installing the the wiring for the DSP5 switch for the EFILive. I thought that might have been why I got the P2610 code (I also uninstalled the BullyDog tune I had in it) either way the reset procedure for the ECM seems to have cleared that code. All that was done prior to driving it 280 miles.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
There is no DSP5 support for vans and you run the risk of bricking the ECM.
When was the BullyDog removed ? Are we back to stock at the moment ?

Reactions: LCAC_Man

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove it from Jersey to Virginia with the stock tune. I re-installed the BullyDog tune as part of the trouble shooting. How can I test the ECM? Bricking it doesn't sound good....

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I would first start by getting all the DSP5 wiring out and checking that wiring closely. Whoever you bought the tunes from should have known this and I would question their tuning. Batteries fully charged and all positive/negative connections clean/tight and good ? When you said fuel filter I am assuming you changed both ? With all the codes and other little stuff makes it a lil more difficult to easily diagnose. I would get my hands on a good scan tool and start checking data also after checking all the basics. Also this tool is very helpful in diagnosing fuel issues from CP3 to tank Kennedy Diesel

Reactions: LCAC_Man

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would first start by getting all the DSP5 wiring out and checking that wiring closely. Whoever you bought the tunes from should have known this and I would question their tuning. Batteries fully charged and all positive/negative connections clean/tight and good ? When you said fuel filter I am assuming you changed both ? With all the codes and other little stuff makes it a lil more difficult to easily diagnose. I would get my hands on a good scan tool and start checking data also after checking all the basics. Also this tool is very helpful in diagnosing fuel issues from CP3 to tank Kennedy Diesel
Thank you for your suggestions. I had a little time to mess with it. I did the "bottle test" on the pressure relief valve, no fuel came out while cranking. I did get a nice, steady flow of fuel from the other side of the connection so I know the primer pump is working! I also pulled a line off one of the fuel injectors and found no fuel getting to the injector while cranking.

I will pull the DSP5 switch wiring out and inspect those harnesses as you suggest but I find it odd that I could have driven it several times and miles with the issue popping up the way it did.

As an aside I got the tunes and EFILive from SameDayTuning.com. They came highly recommended from a couple other diesel head friends. I got the tuner from them for my 2015 LML truck after I de-def'd and de-egr'd it.

I pulled the current codes again and only got:
P0540 Intake Air Heater
P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Low
U0166 Lost communication with aux heater control module

I've been getting these codes for the past year or so since I pulled the EGR system.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I am always leery of these small tuning companies selling stuff on Ebay and do not even list a physical address on their website. Especially them not knowing about DSP not working on vans which has been common knowledge for like 13 years now. We have so many well known reputable tuners to choose from and I feel it is something not to take a chance on.

Get a good scan tool hooked up and see what the CP3 is doing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be have time to work on it this (next) weekend. I'm planning to start by removing the DSP5 wiring, then checking that the computer is getting the power where it needs. Then moving to the grounds. After that.... I might dig into the PRV and the CP3. I need to find a Tech2 I can borrow/rent.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
If you do not have access to a high end quality scan tool check out some of the cheaper options on like amazon or harbor freight. Make sure it can read live data so you can see what the CP3 is doing.
How is the fuel quality and what did it look like in the primary filter ? Have you ever had issues before when low on fuel ? Another thing to consider is the flexible draw tube in the tank developing a crack in it and it is sucking air at low fuel levels.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The fuel looked fine. I had never had problems even running it to the low fuel light but I did put in 10 gallons in case that was the issue, that brought it up to just under 3/4 tank. When I was doing the "bottle test" there was a very strong, clear flow of fuel from the other side of the connection with the primer running. That makes me think it's not a fuel supply issue. I also cut open the fuel filter I removed, it was clean.

Trouble shooting from 270 miles away I am really leaning toward an electrical issue.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
When the prime pump is running fuel goes every direction and even the wrong way through the return line. So that does not tell you anything about fuel supply from CP3 to injectors.

What about the primary fuel filter, did it look good also ?

One another thing concerning your bottle test is I do not think you have that correct. To test the FPRV you need to command maximum rail pressure and check to see of any fuel is leaking by. They rarely fail and when they start having issues it is under load and maximum commanded fuel they start leaking just enough to pop a 87.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Did you get it fixed and everything is up/running good ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts