Diesel Place banner

2006 tow mirror diassembly instructions

7K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  J Wood 
#1 ·
part 1 of 2:
First extend the mirror fully and remove the foam padding from the mounting assembly. Now you're ready.
- unscrew the harness pigtail from the back of the mounting assembly and then cut the mounting tape so the harness separates from it's plastic mounting stud.
- Use a small screw driver, slip in to either the top of bottom slider sleeve where you will see a small slot to use as a starting point. Gently pry it open and then repeat on both sides of the same assembly for that mirror. It then pops open at the mirror pivot point. Gentlly wiggle the piece back and forth and it slides out of the outter mirror. Repeat for other slider on the same mirror.
- Now use a bit larger straight slot screw driver. Looking into the plastic triangular mounting assembly you will see a plastic lip inside the rearward facing edge. Pop it loose with the screwdriver and it pulls free to the rear.
- Remove the 4 large philips mounting screws for the pivot assembly and the entire mounting assembly will come free from the rest of the mirror.
---part 2 follows with remaining 5 images---

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
part 2

- after removing the inner assembly, remove the backing 3 backing screws for the remaining plastic cover.
- remove the metal swivel assembly.
- remove the one mounting stud which partially blocks the pass through opening in the metal swivel assembly.
- thread harness through the hole. I had to lightly tap each plug block with a rubber mallet to pass through the hole.
- You're now ready to sand everything and get it painted!
----tried to post in "how to" section but wasn't allowed for some reason--

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
Good job
The mods can move this into the "how to" I'm glad it went ok, but did you take the glass out?

#4 ·
No, left the glass in. Just taped it up in painters tape. Looked at it extensively and there was nothing intuitive about it. Went the "better safe than sorry" route and left it in. In my opinion, it appears that the lower mirrow could propably pull straight out as it rotates in a ball and socket type setup. That would give access to the big expensive upper mirror I think. But I was skeered! :eek:

#11 ·
No, left the glass in. Just taped it up in painters tape. Looked at it extensively and there was nothing intuitive about it. Went the "better safe than sorry" route and left it in. In my opinion, it appears that the lower mirrow could propably pull straight out as it rotates in a ball and socket type setup. That would give access to the big expensive upper mirror I think. But I was skeered! :eek:

To remove the upper glass, it needs to be pryed up off of the tabs that hold it. I have already had to replace a glass on one of mine. The new glass actually comes with a plastic tool to pry the glass up with.

John

#6 ·
I'm gonna say "no" based on what I see. All the metal is extremely stout to include the welds. Though the metal can be cut, shaped and modded, its interaction with the plastic cover pieces would make it impossible. The plastic cover pieces would have to be remolded to the new profile. It you're an expert with plastic then go for it. Every mistake will be another $159 though. :)

#7 ·
...and by the way, sanding these mamouth mirrors is a bit**. It'll all be worth it by the end of the week though when they're painted. I'll post the finished pictures.

#8 ·
Use some glaze or a sand able primer.

#9 ·
Yep. Had that discussion with the paint shop this morning when I dropped off all the pieces. Made it clear I wanted them smooooooth. I did all the hard work anyway. He said he would prime and sand them as needed before color and clear coat. I taped up the glass since I couldn't remove it and he said that's what he would have recommended. Should be ready by the end of the week.
:ro)

#12 ·
Good to know John. Still scarey taking apart perfectly NEW stuff though.
On to other subjects...man, I carry my Glock concealed but, I swear, I can barely tell she's toting a Glock in that picture. Packing heat yes, but a gun? What gun?
):h

#13 ·
Good to know John. Still scarey taking apart perfectly NEW stuff though.
On to other subjects...man, I carry my Glock concealed but, I swear, I can barely tell she's toting a Glock in that picture. Packing heat yes, but a gun? What gun?
):h
Yep! You'd want to be careful c0cking that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.