Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there where threads on which trans oil could be used with the 06. Well i just wanted to say i had mine changed with torque-drive, and it runs fine. I had them Flush it out. It took about 16 Quarts. So far runs great.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I know there where threads on which trans oil could be used with the 06. Well i just wanted to say i had mine changed with torque-drive, and it runs fine. I had them Flush it out. It took about 16 Quarts. So far runs great.
I use it also and think it's great. Not cheap, but I think it'll handle the heat better than dino.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I use it in the Ally and the Tcase! Love it.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
I do not think Dex 6 is any better than Dex 3. I do not believe Allison Corp. wants Dex 3 or Dex 6 in their transmisiion. I believe it is a GM decision as far as recomendations for Dex 3 and 6. These are my opines only. ;)
mike

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im with you mike. GM just wants you to use there stuff. I feel thats why they made dex 6 so people think thats all you can use in the trans nothing else. T-Case 2 Quarts

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Just ordered 5 gallons of TD this evening...
Guess I'll be feeding the sheep next week :)

I wish Amsoil sold TD in quart bottles... I hate to drop another $26 for a full gallon for the top-off's when I change the spin-on.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I do not think Dex 6 is any better than Dex 3. I do not believe Allison Corp. wants Dex 3 or Dex 6 in their transmisiion. I believe it is a GM decision as far as recomendations for Dex 3 and 6. These are my opines only. ;)
mike
I always thoght ALLISON is a GM affiliate,dex 3/ dex 6 only diff. iadditive package.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just ordered 5 gallons of TD this evening...
Guess I'll be feeding the sheep next week :)

I wish Amsoil sold TD in quart bottles... I hate to drop another $26 for a full gallon for the top-off's when I change the spin-on.
rich if you change the spin on you loose a whole gal of fluid?and was that spin super tight like the eng. oil filter?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
rich if you change the spin on you loose a whole gal of fluid?and was that spin super tight like the eng. oil filter?
You loose less than a pint.
Amsoil doesn't sell TorqueDrive in bottles smaller than a gallon, so I'll have to buy one, and it'll probably be enough to last until my next system flush in 50k.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
mike
When the Dex VI first "hit the street" and there were a lot of threads on the cost and lack of availability I posted the question that there sure seemed to be thousands of Allisons covering millions of miles on Dex III and equivalents and doubted that the "new" Allison absolutely had to have Dex VI to survive. I was pretty severely "flamed" with "I'm not voiding MY warranty!" and "GM says it's what I have to use and I'm not gonna change!" I share your opinion, Mike.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Allison absolutely had to have Dex VI to survive. I was pretty severely "flamed" with "I'm not voiding MY warranty!" and "GM says it's what I have to use and I'm not gonna change!" I share your opinion, Mike.
Yup... and I was one of the guys flaming you.

At that point, nobody knew WHAT Dex-VI was. Nobody had opened up the new 6 speeds, so nobody knew what it was made of. All we knew was that when Mike looked at it, it looked and smelled different from anything currently in use.
All we had on paper was GM's press release that made Dex-VI look like it would make coffee for you in the morning :D

Classic case of "that was then" ;)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Tcase took 2 qts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't understand why you are changing from a fluid that meets waranty requirements to a fluid that does not! Check the allison web site for approved fluids and you will not see torque-drive among the synthetics.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I don't understand why you are changing from a fluid that meets waranty requirements to a fluid that does not! Check the allison web site for approved fluids and you will not see torque-drive among the synthetics.
Each to his own...

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
You won't see Dexron-VI either, but that's what GM is installing.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Dexron-VI is not synthetic so it would not be on TES-295 approved list. It is C4 dexron III compatable.
My point is, Dex-VI is not (yet) listed as being approved by Allison.

There are 5w30wt motor oils on the C4 list.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Dexron-VI is not synthetic so it would not be on TES-295 approved list. It is C4 dexron III compatable.
So is Mercon. I will defer to the Allison recomended fluid not the Allison compatible fluid. Dex 3 and 6 work fine in the Ally. When you really start working the trans, towing, racing, sled pulls, hot weather, you need to kick it up a notch. Under the conditions I just listed, Dex 3 and 6 will be found lacking.
mike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts