Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
156000 miles 2006 lbz drove to work today truck didn't come up to temp for ten miles. Truck block heater was plugged in all night . When truck came up to temp went to 225 then right down to 185 then low coolant light came on truck stayed at 185 surge tank was empty
Do I have bad thermostats bad cap. How hard are the thermostats to change.?

·
Premium Member
17,836 Posts
Surge tank empty? Did it overflow? Do you see where the antifreeze went?

Head gaskets are a stretch based on what you've shared. Just did the little coolant hose to turbo on 2 of my LBZ, and last year, I did the oil cooler gaskets on the other.

Thermostats wont explain the coolant loss. I'd top off and then pressurize the cooling system (with a tester) and look for the leak. I've had the bottom hose clamp at the radiator rot off, in addition to the aforementioned repairs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It all came out of the overflow on the coolant tank. oil looks good no other leaks that I can find

·
Registered
313 Posts
It all came out of the overflow on the coolant tank. oil looks good no other leaks that I can find

Replace the cap first with a GM cap. It's cheap, but I doubt it will fix your problem. You're getting air into the coolant system. Only one place that comes from, inside the cylinders and through the head gaskets.

Do some more diagnosing though. After refilling with coolant and replacing the cap, go drive it. Get it good and hot. After that, park it overnight. If the top radiator hose is still hard like a tennis ball in the morning, you just joined the head gasket club.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Any signs o f coolant on the ground?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check your EGR, my lbz was doing the same thing. Found that the EGR had a crack in the jacket and was blowing exhaust gas in to the cooling system.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well finally getting ready to start working on my truck.
question I have are what parts to buy where to purchase
do I delete the egr or disable it
what all needs done to the heads
etc etc etc

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
SEARCH Button is your friend.
TONS of post here on how to HG's and EGR Delete.
DIY Section is good place to start.

Good luck
Theo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts