Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy 2500 hd
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my truck sometimes my everything works as it should sometime it acts up and when it acts up I lose my abs light, check engine light, turn signals and tach I thought was cluster so got an upgraded led one(more of an excuse but) I don’t know what to check next.

·
Administrator
19,884 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

I would remove your batteries and have them individually load tested.
if one or both fail, replace them as a matched set.

·
Registered
2006 chevy 2500 hd
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ll try that but truck was down for awhile and they were a brand new set about a year ago they just sat on the shelf in meantime

·
Administrator
19,884 Posts
I’ll try that but truck was down for awhile and they were a brand new set about a year ago they just sat on the shelf in meantime
I've had batteries test bad right off the part store shelf before..
One bad battery cell can cause a lot of unwanted electrical gremlins
(y)

·
Registered
2006 chevy 2500 hd
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the batteries tested and both fine as well as fuses under the truck and in cab.

·
Administrator
19,884 Posts
I had the batteries tested and both fine as well as fuses under the truck and in cab.
The next time it happens I would start inspecting your wire harness. Look for any rodent damage, worn wire insulation, corrosion, loose connections, etc.
Grab the harness and give it a few good hard shakes to see if the problems get better, worse, etc.
Go through all grounds.

·
Registered
2006 chevy 2500 hd
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far all grounds and connections good no change when I wiggle any of the harnessing

·
Registered
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Ext. Cab Long Box - LB7
8 Posts
As an electrician, I can tell you that many, many, many gremlins are caused by grounding issues... there are a couple of ground leads that run to the cab of the truck and if they start to corrode, you can have intermittent problems like the ones you are describing... I havent looked into where they all are, but I just discovered my rear-of-the-engine to firewall ground strap was dusconnected and dropped behind the engine for almost 10 years after a dealer worked on my truck! No problems, but that's a big one. Also, I believe there is one under the driver's cab to the chassis. I've heard of other gauge cluster anomalies associated with bad grounds too. That would be a great place to start IMHO.

·
Registered
2006 chevy 2500 hd
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve found some power wires in my fuse box corroded I cleaned them and it worked for a little bit but I’m going to go through them again and clean more and add dyelectric grease

·
Registered
2006 chevy 2500 hd
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gone through all the easy to get to grounds and no change but now abs light and seatbelt both dimly light up and alternate which is brighter but if I use turn signal doesn’t work and they go dimmer

·
Registered
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Ext. Cab Long Box - LB7
8 Posts
Not sure what you're using to clean the electrical contacts and wires, but one thing I swear by is CLC Electrical Contact cleaner... It won't hurt plastics, dries super fast, cleans like brakleen, and is safe for many electrical devices!

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 12 of 12 Posts