Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This site looks great guys.:ro)

I have a few newbie questions.

I just got a 2006 C5500 with a LLY I think, it has a 4 speed allison. I have just got to say I am so dissapointed in the performance of this truck, it is a slug after 55 mph. I don't have enough power to pass anyone.

If I install a chip such as the bully dog pup, will it void warranty? Is there any other way to gain hp besides a chip? I don't own it but I'm gonna be stuck driving it for the next few years, so I would rather not spend a ton of money on it but I will if I have to.

Thanks

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
While technically they can't void the warranty with a chip it is possible they might try. It's a whole lot easier to remove it before you go to the dealer.

You can gain HP with propane if you want to avoid a chip but you are in the same boat as far as warranty and the propane is harder to remove.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can gain HP with propane if you want to avoid a chip but you are in the same boat as far as warranty and the propane is harder to remove.
This truck is a service truck with lots of lockable compartments. I think I could easily hide a propane tank. Does propane add LOTS of power? Could I just run small bottles such as gas grill bottles? How long would a small bottle like that last? Where and how do I plumb it in?

Thanks

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
You can add probably 100hp safely but you will start running into problems with the trans not holding.

Do a search for propane and you will find lots of information.

A tuner is much, much simpler.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Propane costs more money to add then a tuner.

·
Registered
609 Posts
This site looks great guys.:ro)

I have a few newbie questions.

I just got a 2006 C5500 with a LLY I think, it has a 4 speed allison. I have just got to say I am so dissapointed in the performance of this truck, it is a slug after 55 mph. I don't have enough power to pass anyone.

If I install a chip such as the bully dog pup, will it void warranty? Is there any other way to gain hp besides a chip? I don't own it but I'm gonna be stuck driving it for the next few years, so I would rather not spend a ton of money on it but I will if I have to.

Thanks

Should be a Five speed allison, check again..... maybe you have 5th gear turned off?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Propane costs more money to add then a tuner.
Yeah I see that after searching a few threads. Takes a lot mroe then I thought it would. I thought maybe I could add a cheap little kit for $199.99 :rolleyes: .

Truck only has 700 miles now maybe it will get better, but I doubt it.

As for the it having a 5 speed I'll check today.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it has a 5 speed.

Can I run a chip/tuner for a 04-05 LLY duramax? All I want is a little more power so it doesn't loose 5mph everytime I go up a hill and enough power to pass. So I don't really want to spend $500 plus on a power chip. Right now I'm trying to talk my boss into paying for soem of it.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I'm not sure if you have the old ECM or the new one. I would assume the new bosch ecm. Can you see the ECM and see if it says bosch on it? The other thing we can do is post your vin and we can look up to see if it is new or old.

Perhaps someone who knows will jump in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
"technically" a chip does void the warranty. ANY mods to the truck (exhaust, propane, nitrous, lift kit, chip, etc) will void the warranty, but it is to the discretion of the dealership if they want to honor the warranty at that point. basically, if it can be proven that a mod has caused the problem that you may incur, you may end up having to pay for the repair.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Ever hear of the Magnuson Moss act?

·
Registered
22 Posts
ever heard of reading your warranty?

from the magnuson moss act:
"As a warrantor, you must state certain specified information about the coverage of your warranty in a single, clear, and easy-to-read document. "

this means that manufacturers must state in the warranty that any modification to the truck may void the warranty, and they do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked at the ecu yesterday and it doesn't say what brand it is. It does have some part numbers on it, would that help?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts