Diesel Place banner

181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
You cannot do this with just a tech 2, you need to reprogram the TCM, this requires access to the GM site as far as I know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wondering if anyone knows the answer to my question ? So, I am aware that in a 2006 - 2007 GMC / Chevy C4500 C5500 TopKick Kodiak you can replace and reprogram (with a TECH2 and maybe other software etc...) the TCM with a 2008 2wd or 4wd VIN# and you'll go from a 5 speed to a 6 speed transmission instantaneously, nice and easy. But on the 2003 - 2005 models you can also go from a 5 speed to a 6 speed transmission as well, but you have to purchase a kit which range online from $1,500 to $2,500 depending on who you want to purchase it from. The kits contains a 6 speed valve body and a TCM. Now my question is can I just purchase or remove a used 2006 - 2009 6 speed valve body, and swap out the solenoids from the 5 speed into the 6 speed valve body, which I believe I read somewhere that you have to do this for it to work ?, and then just reflash/replace/reprogram the TCM with a 2008 2wd or 4wd VIN# ? This way the costs should be a lot less and I was thinking of purchasing a 6 speed back-up transmission and using the valve body, in case mine ever goes. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
From what i remember 06-07 are physically 6 speed. 6 is not activated until you have it reflashed to 08 might be wrong but its what i remember.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From what i remember 06-07 are physically 6 speed. 6 is not activated until you have it reflashed to 08 might be wrong but its what i remember.
Correct, already did that on one of my trucks, my 2006 C4500 2wd and now my 2007 C5500 4x4 will be next in a week or so. Those are the easy ones. The 2005 C4500 4x4 is the one I'm trying to figure out how to do it on the cheap as described in my previous post.

·
Registered
373 Posts
For those of you that have done the 6 speed conversion, does it hinder the ability to use a tuner like ppe or efi since the tcm and ecm vin wont match?

·
Registered
109 Posts
No--- the TCM is separate from The ECM I have Level 2 with a PPE Tuner

·
Registered
373 Posts
No--- the TCM is separate from The ECM I have Level 2 with a PPE Tuner
Ok good to know. Am I correct in believing the PPE will remove the speed limiter also?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not to fast I had mine removed when the TPM was reflashed by PCMperformance.com Go on his site fill out the form it has that listed. Not sure if the PPE does it

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ok thanks for the info! I will reach out to PCMperformance.
I reached out to PCM performance but he seemed kinda short through emails, maybe he was having a bad day. I don't have a problem using him except for the downtime while shipping him my tcm and waiting for it to be shipped back. Does anyone know whats different about the 4wd vs 2wd tcms? I found a used 2008 tcm for a good price but its from a 2wd. What would happen if I plugged it into my 4wd truck?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not 100% sure. BUT Its worth a try I don't know if the 4x4 part even Use the TCM

181 - 193 of 193 Posts