Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious:

Light driving, 50 degrees outside temp, 2wd surface roads, 30 miles. TRANS TEMP at 250. (no the parking brake was not on :) )

Owner's manual says "180 to 200 normal." Anybody else with a 2006 showing high temp on the transmission?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Were you using the winter cover?

My '06 only gets remotely close to 200 (never actually hit it) in 100 degree+ when sitting in heavy traffic.
Normally it sits at 150, and often doesn't even get that high.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Sounds like my truck when i changed the tranny fluid....i hit 200F all the time no matter what time of day or type of driving. Also, shifted real bad. Had my TAPS resetted, all is good now.

But this might be something way different...its a '06.

Just wait for the tranny experts to chime in.............

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yeah, that's way too high for those driving conditions. Did the trans over temp message come on?

First I'd check the fluid level to see if it's over or under filled (both can lead to an overheat situation). If that's not the case I'd have the dealer check the trans cooler and do a flow test. Also check the cooler lines and see if they're bent or kink anywhere. If all that checks out have them look at the converter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you talked to a dealer regarding your truck? Under the conditions you mentioned, I would think the transmission should run quite a bit cooler than that.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the quick responses. I did not have the winter cover on. Only thing was I removed the plastic diaper under the bumper (the one piece that holds the fog lights) due to clearance issues (285/75/r16's on MB rockers rub on this truck but did not on my 98k3500).

Whatcha think - removing the diaper is enough to mess with the airflow?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah, did not get any warnings on the DIC or instrument panel...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Followup: put the diaper back on underneath the bumper, went for a drive, topped out at 240 degrees (70 degree outside temp) on the highway this time. She's going to the dealer!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have heard some stories about bad gauges. have that checked. Also, the external trans filter may be clogged, which could be a sign of a bigger problem. get it to the dealer.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, she ran for about 3k miles and promptly shot past 200 into the 250's after 20 miles of driving. Called the dealer, he said "bring her in." So I said "you want me DRIVE it to you like this?" He said "yup."

Had to stop after about 12 miles because the truck started alarming at 250+ (Transmission HOT on the DIC). A few more minutes, a few more degrees a more annoying alarm and (Tranmission HOT IDLE ENGINE). Stopped for some kraut dogs to give her a little cooldown time.

Back on the road (5 miles to go). Thought I'd be clever and shift into neutral to give the hydraulic pump some relief at the stoplights. Wrong! Couple loud clunks unloading out of gear (maybe 30mph and decelerating). Took a few seconds to get hydraulic power back to the pump. Left it in gear until I got to the service department.

Trans was 265-ish when I rolled into the service area. Touched the pan and spin-on filter; I don't claim to have a calibrated hand for temp but it was damn hot! NO LEAKS PRESENT. Service manager looked around her, did the paperwork, and away she went.

Next day, wife gets a call from the dealer. They are going to replace the transmission! If I understand the message correctly they told her the torque converter was separating and they'll just replace the whole kit n kaboodle.

QUESTION for the TRANS FOLKS: Since I appear to have a trans about to be gutted and I have a swell digital camera, are there any pictures (of the transmission) that would be good for future reference on our forum? I used to overhaul transmissions (even Allisons) so I would love to see what a separating TC is that never lost hydraulic pressure or leaked. Or if you all had any specific questions you want me to ask their allison tech, let me know; he and I are about to be good friends...

·
Registered
897 Posts
how many miles did you have on this? Have you done any heavy pulling or well.... ummm.... well you know, power breaking?

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I think the lock up clutch started disintegrating but I could be wrong. If they will let you take pics we are always up for seeing cranage pics :D But you will need to slice open the converter to see anything there. And I'm sure allison wants it back whole so they can throw em in the pile of converters they are going to shove up the converter manufacturers ***.

Actually the 06's cooler is in a different location than my LB7 and runs normal temps or thers abouts even with a winter cover untill you try driving at speeds between 85-90 for long periods of time, but it still stays within the normal range.

Hope this is your only problem with her :)

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Also remember(and I'd have them foot the bill) to change your spin on filter at 500 miles on the new trans. And dont forget about the filter magnet on the top of the spin on filter

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had 3000 miles - about 90% of them were not hauling anything. The other 10% was a pontoon boat around central TEXAS. Only really got on the engine a handfull of times; engine still has never seen above 3500 rpms.

This is the only problem I've had with her. Damn sexy machine it is, even sexier now with a brand spankin' new transmission! Actually I'm another one on the bunch that has been (so far) disappointed with the mileage...

They are keeping her for "test driving" purposes until tomorrow or so.

Thanks for the advice on the filter. I am going to do exactly that, since the first trans worked so well.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I would have been curious to see the C3's. Also is it too far out of line to ask them to replace the cooler and lines?

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
I have been seeing some wierd things happening because of spin on filters ( everyone an Allison oem ). Mainly hot temps. Cured all of them with spin on replacement. Change them often guys.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If the TC clutch was not locking up with that double overdrive the 6-speeds have and 285's on top of that, your looking at some serious heat issues I would think.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, I think the TCC was locking up on que (1700-ish at 70 mph). Aside from the increasing temps she behaved perfectly normal. But that deal I described when coasting from drive to neutral was weird as all get out. That one still worries me; I'm crossing my fingers that was only the transmission and not anything towards the rear of the truck. Then I'll need some more warranty repairs...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts