Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Silverado is in the dealership once again with a continuing problem since I purchased it in 10-05. When the transmission is locked in D3, D2, and D1 positions and at very low speeds (below 30 mpH), there is a severe drivetrain jumping problem. The lower the gear the worst the problem is.
The first time I took it in a couple of months ago the problem could not be duplicated. (at that time I didn't know how to make it occur) The problem causes the rearend to jump and grab and it seems like it is in the rear axle.
Once I discovered how to make it occur I took the Service Tech for a drive and it was painfully obvious there was a serious problem.
Well the PU has been in the shop for several days now, the transmission has been removed and inspected along with all the sensors and they still don't know what the problem is. Of course they have to call GM engineering to see if they have any brillant ideas or will give the dealership some direction. Makes one wonder what they hire mechcanics. Anymore they are just parts replacers anyway.
I am investigating the Colorado Lemon Law to see what documentation I need to file for the law. The unit has 11,000 miles and has always had the problem.
It's no mystery to me why GM products don't compare with some imports. It's called Quality Control or the lack thereof!l!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the exact same truck, but every now and then i ll be stopped at a red light and press the gas and the transmission slips for just a second and then grabs. Have you ahd any thing like this?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
May be as simple as spring wrap-up, more commonly known as wheel hop. Has anyone watched the rear axle as problem happens? That would be my first place to look.

A lot of the good techs either go to indy shops or open their own, they get tired of warranty time. The more training and experience you get the more warranty stuff gets shoved at you, the "young guns" get most of the gravy as the dealer makes more off them as they get paid less. I was there

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem. Search in this topic a little further and find my post titled "2500HD drivetrain noise". It is somewhere around the 6th page at this time. I posted the solution the dealer got for me. Let me know if this helps.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have had that on mine 2 or 3 times. I acted like the locking differential in the rear end forgot to unlock around corners. Made a huge racket. Has not happened in a while.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2005 chevy 2500HD

Continuing up on my rearend noise problem: After a week in the shop and pulling the transmission, finding nothing wrong with the tramsmission or the sensors, (this was all done via visual and electronic testing) and calling GM engineering to determine where to go from there. It was determined that regardless of what the transmission inspection revealed the transmission should be replaced. I picked the truck up yesterday afternoon and it appears to have resolved the problem. The truck has 11,000 on it and the problem has been with the unit since I bought it new.
If any of you have a problem somewhat like this and the vehicle is under warranty, don't give up, pursue the problem with vigor until you get satisfaction. You may have to be a real pain in the a-- as I was!
Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts