Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just started recently. Will start when cold. Once it gets to operating temp if I shut down for say 5 min it won't start. I had it towed last Friday cause it wouldn't start. When it got dropped at my house it started hard but it started. I changed the fuel filters. Still not the way it should, and did start for the last 8yrs that I have owned it.
It has an airdog 100 installed and I know it's getting fuel. It's had a lot of work done to it in the last 3 years:
Head studs, rebuilt cylinder heads, rebuilt injectors,new glow plugs, new turbo, EFI Live 5 position tuner, 3in exhaust, new Bosch fuel pressure regulator and solid over pressure plug on the left bank common rail
No Codes injector balance rates are within spec when at operating temp. Fuel rail pressure between 1000-1300 psi when cranking. No smoking no drop in power
I don't know if this possible but it's acting like the cam position sensor is at fault. I don't have a scanner that can read these transducers I only have the app for my phone.
When I get it running I don't shut it off till I know I don't need the truck for a least 10 hrs. No good shops that I know of in my area I'm on my own so any suggestions I welcome!

·
Administrator
19,695 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
(y)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Warm engine hard starts on another GM models of the era was often attributed to a bad Fuel Pressure Regulator. I know you listed that as “new” but how new? Honestly I’m not sure how that could be tested, or if it’s worth swapping in another one to see if that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Warm engine hard starts on another GM models of the era was often attributed to a bad Fuel Pressure Regulator. I know you listed that as “new” but how new? Honestly I’m not sure how that could be tested, or if it’s worth swapping in another one to see if that helps.
When I changed it about 3 yrs ago it was surging at idle. I changed it and installed the air dog. It is a coil. I did order a cam position sensor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess it cant hurt to change out the fuel pressure regulator.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,942 Posts
Guess it cant hurt to change out the fuel pressure regulator.
Just did mine, it a pain in the arse. Clear as much as you can out of the way.
I actually got a code for the FPR so I replaced it.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I would get a code. I hate part changing......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One other thing When the engine is not running pressure reads 203 psi. This pressure reads hot or cold Is this normal? I have a little bit better scanner on it when I crank it over the fuel pressure takes about 5 or so seconds to reach 1100-1300psi then it starts. When idling with the ac on fuel pressure reads 3100-4100psi I have a Bosch fuel pressure regulator valve coming.
Would it be worth doing a spill back test to check for air even with the air dog present?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts