Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the below truck. I used to have a LB7 a few years ago, and regret selling it. Came across this truck on marketplace. 2005 with 161k on the odometer. I live about 6 hours away, but was able to facetime with the dealer. They crawled under the truck, along the rockers, inside, under the hood, and all looked good. Before they started it up I had them squeeze the radiator hose and were able to squeeze it pretty easily. Also, had them take off the coolant cap couldn't hear any air, or see any bubbles. Truck started right up no issue. They did say it had a P0087 code, but had the parts to replace the fuel pressure relief and were putting a new fuel filter on. Looked like the truck still had the EGR on it, but couldn't tell if blocked, had a cold air intake, and had a Edge tuner. Not sure about transmission work, but did see it had a different PTO cover on it.

I don't drive a lot, but when I do it will be with my camper (6-7,000lbs). Wondering if there is anything else I should look for, or be weary of?

Thanks in advance! I tried to do as much research on the interwebs before posting.

·
Administrator
18,724 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

If you use the "Community Search" feature located at the top of your screen you can search for a ton of in-depth threads on the popular P0087 code.
(y)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes I would definitely research on the P0087, I've read various threads where it throws the truck into limp mode, some fixes were injectors, some people add a second CP3 as a "bandaid" to just flow enough fuel that the excessive return flow doesn't matter anymore. I wouldn't buy it without a long hard test drive that gets the fuel nice and hot. That can be an expensive code without a clear solution.

·
Registered
138 Posts

That is Kennedy Diesel's take on the P0087 although it is geared towards the LBZ and LMM.

Just a thought but you could tell the dealership that you want a tech to check balance rates while you are there so you can see what the rates are on the tech 2, then ask them if any of them would qualify for replacement under GM guidelines. Maybe there is an honest tech there from the LB7 days that will give you his take; although you said you had an LB7 before. You can do some research on balance rates before as they can be kind of hard to interpret. Honestly I would ask this though as more of a litmus test for the dealer. If they refused I would become skeptical but that's just me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts