Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2500hd crew LS
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go with the debate over changing trans fluid. I have 130k on my Lly duramax and it's proudly ti.e to do a trans fluid change. I'm pretty sure it has been done before by the previous owner because the fluid still has a red color to it. My question is I've always heard that changing the fluid will cause the trans to go out. Yet others say to do regular fluid changes. This is my 1st diesel and want to put 200+ on the odometer. Please give some advise on what you guys think or even honor story's concerning this. Thanks fellas

·
Administrator
19,948 Posts
It is important to change the fluid and filters at the recommended service intervals listed within the Owner's manual.
Located at the top of this forum section is some stickied information to help guide you on your trans quest.
Here is a lengthy read on the fluid and more from an Allison trans engineer: Info: - Former Allison Fluids Engineer (Here to Help)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Allison trans is supposed to have regular fluid changes. Dump it and refill, drive a few days, dump it again and refill, then change the spin on filter. If its been more than 100k mi, maybe drop the pan and change the internal pick up filter.

I recommend the Allison spec fluid (TES-295 or the new TES-668 fluid). Roughly 5 gallons total for 98% fluid change. Find a local Allison distributor or vendor here for everything you need. If you have 4x4, buy 6 gallons and use what's leftover to change the T-Case fluid 2x...

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,997 Posts
I did mine at a 137k, had no history on any previous fluid changes, plus I had the front bellhousing and pan off so pretty had to change the fluid.
Seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
2005 2500hd 4x4 stock
60 Posts
Allison trans is supposed to have regular fluid changes. Dump it and refill, drive a few days, dump it again and refill, then change the spin on filter. If its been more than 100k mi, maybe drop the pan and change the internal pick up filter.

I recommend the Allison spec fluid (TES-295 or the new TES-668 fluid). Roughly 5 gallons total for 98% fluid change. Find a local Allison distributor or vendor here for everything you need. If you have 4x4, buy 6 gallons and use what's leftover to change the T-Case fluid 2x...
I second that, I get my fluid and filter from the freight liner dealer. I have the Alison deep pan and filter loc. I was at 150,000 when I changed mine. I did change my lines / cooler this year. I change the external filter every other oil change about 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
2005 2500hd crew LS
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'll be changing it soon. I've worked on gas cars my whole life Nad have herd of trans slipping after changes but u do k ow our diesels are different with much stronger trannys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts